Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Hello peeps!

I'm a long time Photoshop user. I've grown very used to its blending modes and layer-based editing.
I also used to be an Aperture user; I jumped ship to Lightroom and the only thing I miss is the speed that Lightroom lacks.
But I'm still using FCPX for my video work. Its UI is very user friendly, and I've been using it ever since I moved to a Mac two years ago. Before that I used Vegas Pro, which had a similar UI and workflow.

But after seeing video tutorials about the Premiere Pro workflow I'm seriously considering switching. The thing that draws me the most is the adjustment layer and blending mode options that I consider indispensable in Photoshop. They'd be very useful in video editing too but I'm not sure if I should go through the hassle of switching from FCPX to Premiere Pro for them.

So should I give Premiere Pro a go or stick with FCPX?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Hello peeps!

I'm a long time Photoshop user. I've grown very used to its blending modes and layer-based editing.
I also used to be an Aperture user; I jumped ship to Lightroom and the only thing I miss is the speed that Lightroom lacks.
But I'm still using FCPX for my video work. Its UI is very user friendly, and I've been using it ever since I moved to a Mac two years ago. Before that I used Vegas Pro, which had a similar UI and workflow.

But after seeing video tutorials about the Premiere Pro workflow I'm seriously considering switching. The thing that draws me the most is the adjustment layer and blending mode options that I consider indispensable in Photoshop. They'd be very useful in video editing too but I'm not sure if I should go through the hassle of switching from FCPX to Premiere Pro for them.

So should I give Premiere Pro a go or stick with FCPX?

Your only question should be if you want to shell out the money or not. It's not like it works that differently than FCP, or any other NLE for that matter. They're all more or less the same, with the exception of some of the stuff that you mentioned.

After Effects serves a different purpose than FCP or Premiere, but it's also very similar to how Photoshop works. Lots of the same effects with the same controls. I wish Photoshop worked a bit more like After Effects, actually. There's pretty much nothing you can do that's destructive. Everything is based upon removable effects, and there's never a need to "rasterize" anything.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I'm biased, but I think you'll take to the workflow easily.

• I like being able to have access to my Photoshop files right in the Timeline.
• I like to use blending modes and have them playback in real time.
• I like the freedom of the integration with After Effects.
• I like the ability of using adjustment layers wherever I want.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
kevin thats not fair ;)

the only things the poster should consider is the cost of moving.

PPro blends well with its family ;)

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Give it a shot with the trial version. Just make a small project and you'll know whether you like it or not.

I learned FCP7 and then rolled into Premiere Pro with the FCP X update. From FCP7 to Premiere Pro isn't that big of a difference. But you might walk into some difficulties when you come from FCP X. Therefore I advise to do the trial first.

Personally, I wouldn't let the overlay options be the decisive argument. Therefore, do the trial version and see what you like better overall. You can always work around those overlay settings (do it in AE or something like that, perhaps a plugin).

By the way, I realize that this thread has been here for a while. So perhaps you already decided. Maybe you could update us on what you've decided and how that's working out for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.