Video Editing Software question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by masahiro, Nov 22, 2005.

1. masahiro macrumors newbie

Recently I have been playing around with the wonderful mac video editing software, and iMovie HD no longer fullfills my need. I would like to have something that provides more feature like filters, rendering effect... etc.

I am making a documentary film and requires blurring people's face or name of the places, which software provides this feature ? Motion 2 ? Final Cut Pro 5.0 ? or iMovie Express HD ?

*p.s. I am trying to avoid Final Cut Pro 5.0 since it is too much money for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I believe the Final Cut Express with do that.

3. robx2 macrumors member

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This may be the best way to go...Final Cut Express is basically Final Cut Pro pared down to have fewere advanced features, but it's still nearly as complicated to learn. If you're serious about learning it, expect to put a lot of practice time into it before you can use it efficiently and turn out results that compare to what you could do in iMovie in that amount of time.

5. masahiro thread starter macrumors newbie

What about Motion 2 ? what is the advantage they offer? I did some research on this product and it states that it has many filters and such.

thanks

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Motion is a motion graphics application, not an editing app.

Lethal

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Lethal's right. Motion is great for doing motion graphics and special effects, but it's not a general purpose video editing application. It's meant to be used alongside Final Cut Pro or similar software, not in place of it.

For what you're trying to do, I think that Witness plugin is probably your best choice. If you're looking to get into more advanced editing in the future, Final Cut Express or Pro may be something you'll want to buy.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Final Cut Express is awsome its very advanced and not to pricey. If your near an apple store, they might have a workshop on it you can attend to see if its for you. Or you can just play around with it. I went to FCE workshop last friday and found it very usefull. It made me want to buy the whole proudction studio (i have FCE 2 the one before this version)
    Also i know avid has a free version, you can give that a shot....its free

9. masahiro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the helpful information. It seems my best choice is FCE, I will definitely give that a look.

thanks all, have a great Thanksgiving !

10. henerzfinalcut macrumors newbie

henerzfinalcut

okay so final cut pro (FCP5 for short) is way to expensive for mine and your needs.

but Imovie hd6 takes up allot of hard drive space,wich will be a pain up the heiny. And will not let you convert files for sharing (youtube ETC.)

unlike final cut where you can use a variety of different files for sharing, it helps a lot!!

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

sooooo not only did you not really add anything to the conversation... you did it to a thread that has been dead for 3.5 years

*smacks forehead*

12. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

haha, I was just noticing that. I was ready to jump in with a little more info, but then I noticed wow... they're talking about iMovie HD here... that was, well, a while ago!