Video editing...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by absolut_mac, Mar 3, 2005.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    My daughter has a 2 hour DVD that doesn't have any chapters. She just wants to edit out about 5 minutes of it and save it (the 5 minute section) to a DVD for a school project. Nothing fancy, and no added titles or music etc.

What is the quickest and easiest way in order to do that? iMovie/iDVD or aren't any of the freebie that come with iLife capable of doing this?

All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, both by her and me :)
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    You'll need to extract the video first, DVDxDV or DVD2oneX should work, but not on encrypted DVD's.

You should extract the video to QuickTime movie, then throw it at iMovie, edit it and send it to iDVD.

This assumes you have iMovie and iDVD at 4 or above.

MacTheRipper won't work in this case as you need editable video.
  3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Also, if you have two more applications, QuickTime Pro, you can edit the clip using Player Scripts and encode the 5 min segment to MPEG2 to burn in DVDSP to a DVD.

You also might want to check out MPEGStreamclip
  4. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    That works well. Another way would be to hook your camera up to the DVD player and record the outgoing video to tape, then import it just as you would anything else. I've done this in a pinch and it seems to work just fine. Often times its quicker to do this than to try to figure out all the additional software steps. :)
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Use Mac The Ripper to extract the DVD
    Then use ffmpeg to convert to MPEG from VIDEO_TS folder
    Then use iMovie

Pretty simple. I've done it before.
  6. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    I second that. The combo of MactheRipper and ffmpeg can make a clip from a DVD useful for just about anything. Anything within copyright law, of course.
  7. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Wow, I'm impressed by our helpful MR members!

Thanks a lot for all the helpful suggestions.

I think that I might even give this a try as I have quite a few watch videos and DVD's that have too much PR garbage and only a few minutes of info that's actually useful to me.