Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I am currently really into photography, but would like to learn video (editing), and look at it as a career. As you can see I live in Arizona. Can anyone suggest a good school (hopefully in my area)? I would prefer a non-university school (trying to get out of the standard school life).

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
I recommend reading up on how video works and common editing techniques before trying to learn editing software. There are numerous books out there, including textbooks by Herbert Zettl and Ronald Compesi that are very comprehensive. This is pretty much how a college class would introduce it, and you'd get the info without easy access to the hardware.

Once you've got a little bit of knowledge, you could play around with iMovie to get some of the basics. I recommend getting a camcorder though. You're going to need some footage to experiment with. I don't know of any specific schools in Arizona or how much they would cost, since my video production training came via university and then work experience. I would expect at least a moderate investment of time and money to get up to speed.

When you get to that point, look for internships at local TV stations, even if it's just getting people coffee. It's the only way to get professional experience. Good luck.

TrashCanDan

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Ive got a couple friends that attend Scottsdale Community College, its supposed to have a great 2-year film degree which deals with editing and theory. I know ASU will start a new Film-Degree in august 2006 which is what I'll be enrolling in when it begins. If your looking for just some preliminary classes, you might want to check with the local community college, they may offer some intro to video produciton classes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.