Video Editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaagat111, Dec 29, 2006.

1. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

Ok so here is the situation. I just bought a new Canon mini Dvd Camcorder, and want to save the video I record on my computer as a .avi file. I can take the video off of the miniDVD yet it is saved as a .vob. My question is, how do I convert this video file to a .avi file, or how does everybody else using DVD camcorders convert their files to playable media.

If you need any clarification please ask.

Thanks, Alex

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your miniDVD is playable media. It is a DVD disc. You can play it on almost all Macs, PCs, and player desks with tray-loading drives. If you want to convert the DVD into a different format, then you might look into Handbrake or MacTheRipper.

3. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

Unfortunately, I have a powerbook which has a slot loading dvd drive, so therefore my only option in order to rip the dvd would be to do it through my pc. The problem is, I can't find a free dvd rippiing to avi program for a pc, yet as I said earlier an easier solution would be a program which converts .vob files to .avi for mac, since the pc is very slow (what a surprise)

Thanks, Alex

4. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

maybe VLC does the trick. It can get pretty confusing when trying to convert videos in VLC, so itmay not be the easiest option.

also, i know you asked for a free software, but iSquint is just a great piece of software, and worth paying for.

I think VLC does the job though.

5. Jen5678 macrumors regular

Handbrake for avi and MPEG StreamClip for mpeg