Video editor salary???

Discussion in 'Community' started by jelloshotsrule, May 23, 2002.

1. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have a chance at getting a video editing job around here at a small production place, worked out of the guy's basement. however, he has more work than he can handle, and he does local commercials and such. the highest of what i'd think to be local availability of such work.

so i ask you multimedia, editing, graphics folks who do it for a living... how much should a guy like me ask for? (he asked me how much i'd ask for pay and i didn't know)...

for my background... i'm an nyu student (going to senior year). lots of experience (in class and at home) with fcp and before that premiere. and some avid. also know after effects and that type of stuff. had an internship where i did some editing and also on set for commercial shoots..

i guess that's it. basically, what's fair to ask for for an hourly salary? i will negotiate of course... but what do i start at?

thanks all.... what would i do without macrumors?!?! ha

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Unfortunately, as a student you're not going to get near what a professional will, and add to your lack of experience, its going to be tough. I wouldn't push too hard of a deal, you're gaining experience, which you need more than the money at this point. Hopefully he's a fair individual and you'll get a decent hourly rate.

You should check online and see what the job calculators come up with.

3. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, i don't expect a ton, but at this point i don't even know what's fair for a student... i don't want to get totally screwed, you know?

i know that at school they were offering 15/hour for a graphic designer at the career office or whatever.... that's the only thing even close that i've seen to compare it to..

i figured maybe teabgs could help if he's around. since he's doing video stuff...

where are these job calculators online? never used em....

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I tried looking at google, but there were too many, you have more time, go try there. 15/hour is good, but that's NY, you might not be able to get that, but you never know.

5. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm. most of them don't have the specific job editor... 15 is ny... is 15 fair to kinda start at... and then work down? i fully expect to negotiate. i don't expect a ton, nor do i want/need a ton. the experience is key, but i'd still like to get a decent amount. for obvious reasons.

c'mon teabgs!

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do a cold call to a different video production house and ask to speak to someone in HR. Tell them your story and ask them what the going rate is. The only thing that could happen is they'll tell you to go away.

7. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i would... but the funny thing is, most places don't answer the phone, won't give me the time of day etc.

but yeah, maybe i'll try that....

8. macrumors 68020

mymemory

My god, I want to move to the US so bad now.

I have an Audio Engineer degree and a masters in Multimedia (video post production, etc), and 3 years after my last graduation I made $17 a day!!! when I did the most. Right now I'm charging $400 for creating a web site in 2 weeks and they turned down my propousal.

9. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    if this is a summer gig ( and possibly your first paying editing job) i'd start low-maybe $10.00/hr..its not about the money, its about getting that first paying gig. you're getting more experience and a good reference out of it...and maybe , after college, this guy can hook you up with a bigger job or one of his bigger competitors( everybody knows where the big jobs go).

obviously, since you've interned in the past-you see the big picture....

also, sometimes with a new client, i just ask them what kind of budget they have...most people are fair( or will do what it takes to be fair). and if they're not, you don't want to work for them...people's character permeates all facets of their business. and there is such a thing as a bad reference-i learned that the hard way..." oh, so you used to work for the shyster across town...." ouch.

:)

10. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

thanks for the input. i would certainly take 10 bucks an hour. no problems there. if it's regular hours and that well paying, it's better than i've had mostly... i have done other paid editing/animation work. but that was freelance. the internship i got paid (100/week) which was actually good, but it was still an "internship". in fact, it was ideal. i got 100/week + 6 credits with flexible hours and little expectations. plus, i made a connection with a producer who later hired me for the freelance animation thing... unfortunately, he missed his chance to hire me for the summer up in nyc... blah.

i just figure if i start at 10, in theory he might want to talk me lower. which would be ok i guess, but not ideal. whereas if i start at like 15, that's not ridiculously high (i don't think) then i can always talk down to 12 or 10... but probably not past 10

i fully know it's not about the money. definitely. totally. but it's a nice perk, after all, could always use 2 studio displays. :)

11. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just mention what you said here, a lab geek at your school makes 15.00/hour and see where that takes you.

Good luck.

12. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

hey, but it does help don't it:D

13. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's what i'm saying!

just a bonus to the experience, which will ideally lead to future money

of course, i'll be a struggling artist living off a businesswoman wife anyways... hahaha

14. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

of course, i'll be a struggling artist living off a businesswoman wife anyways... hahaha [/QUOTE]

i've heard it said the definition of a successful artist is one who has a well-employed wife.....

i just like to think of it as another sign of liberation and equality.:D

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, the price you have to pay for art sometimes.....

You could always try your hand a lotto

16. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

thats the truth....i'll take the lotto odds anyday:D

i've had some pretty good highs and some pretty good lows --and i don't think i've appreciated either of them nearly enough....

17. macrumors 6502

my senior year i made zero as a intern. that was during the dot-com golden era. i'm not sure if you can expect too much more unless you're amazing.

coincidentally, years later i returned to the company. they remembered me and hired me full-time.

18. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i'm not gonna be an intern. i'm gonna be an editor/cameraman...

but yeah, i hear ya. it's nearly all about the connections at the beginning.

this is all IF i get the job.. haha

and 3rd: truer words never spoken. my girlfriend even said it's cool if i'm a struggling artist. she will also be supporting a couple of my friends.... haha

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, don't let this one go! You'll never get that lucky again:D

20. macrumors 68030

teabgs

Have no fear, teabgs is here! :D

Dude, check the editor's guild webpage to see Union minimum wage...which is VERY good in my book. then just go a bit lower for whatever your job would be. Then you can negogiate down from there if need be.

If you don't want to do that, it'd depend what you'll be doing. If he wants you to actually edit commercials for him I'd ask for $20/hr expecting to negotiate down to $15.

I just finished one videography job and am doing another in a week for $500 each. the first I didnt even have to edit. the next is that low because its a family friend and I'm doing them a favor. When I get more (bar mitzvah) I'll be charging around $1000 which is a good deal for them, and great for me. Expenses are around $200 each.

Hope that helps. good luck.

21. macrumors 68030

teabgs

Can I jump in on this one? :D

22. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. true dat.

she's not big on the friends idea. but one of them was friends with her before she knew me. then i kinda stole him from her... so she has to let him live off her or else she'll lose him as a friend... forever! haha.

23. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow. even the apprentice one was like 22/hour minimum, and from what i understand i should be a bit more than an apprentice in this case....

yeah, i figured 20 to start then work down, but everyone talked me out of it... haha.

what type of cam do you have? just shooting it yourself or what?

24. thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

with the girl or with the friends? haha...

either one has problems

no.

and.

who said you were my friend???? haha

25. macrumors 68030

teabgs

I rent my friends...Sony DCR-VX2000. And I shoot myself...as in I do the shooting, not that I physically shoot myself...yeah ;)

And about jumping on....is she hot? :p

but seriously...I just want someone to support me. No one said we're friends, but still... :D

shall we be nemisis instead?:eek: