Video equivalent of Graphics Converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Proably every Mac user has or has used Lemke's GraphicConverter, the indispensable Swiss Army knife of converting graphic files.

But is there something similar for video? I have QT Pro, and it does a good job, but it won't export or import Flash (SWF) files. If I have a QT movie I want to turn to Flash, I have to use Flash Pro, and go through that hassle. Likewise, there seems to be no easy way to extract media from a Flash file into a QT movie. Not to mention WMV files, which we are commonplace.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Can't really answer your Flash questions, but I believe Flip4Mac will help with the WMV stuff.

3. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've seen that. I was hoping not to have one tool for each format, but rather that was something more universal. This being video, compression is a given; but going between QT & Flash can be such a production sometimes.

Adobe/Macromedia includes a stand-alone conversion tool, but it seems I've had mixed results with it. Maybe I need to tinker with the settings.

Any other ideas?

4. portent macrumors 6502a

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

The closest analogy is probably FFMPEG, a shareware program that supports a huge variety of input formats and codecs (nearly everything) and a moderate number of modern output codecs. It's also a bit difficult to get working properly, and has a confusing interface, but it does get the job done.

Even it has limitations, though; there's more going on with transcoding video than an image file.