Video file wont play!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joshysquashy, Apr 23, 2006.

1. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005
    I had, what was originaly a wmv file (I think) and I saved it in quicktime pro, so it was a .mov file. Now it wont play in quicktime, it just hangs, and obviously won't play in wmp so... I've tried everything I can think of:

Renaming extension
    Trying to convert with ffmpeg
    Various other things.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Have you tried playing it in VLC or installing Flipr4Mac? I'd try the original (if you still have it) but maybe one of these will work.

3. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005
    Unfortunately I deleted the original :mad: and neither flip4mac or vlc works.

VLC comes up with the message

"main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format."

Flip4Mac doesn't work because it is a .mov file, not wmv. Even when I change the extension, it is still got a mov wrapper, does anyone know how to remove the wrapper? Thats sounds funny!:p

Quicktime shows the full duration in the progress bar, but a white screen, and it hangs when you press play.
  4. andcraig macrumors regular

May 28, 2005
    Even without the .mov container it's in, OSX cannot, to my knowledge, play the wmv3 codec.

It's a real pain, but microsoft never felt like including it in WMP for OSX and noone's successfully reverse engineered it.

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    Sounds like you had Flip4Mac version 1.0.x installed when you saved it as Quicktime movie (.mov). Nothing wrong with that so long as you had version 1.0.x installed. But when Flip4Mac moved to version 2.0.x, some WMV files that were originally saved as Quicktime files in version 1.0.x wouldn't play back with version 2.0.x installed

To get your wmv .mov file to play again, you'll have to 1) uninstall version 2.0.x, and 2) download and install version 1.0.2, which is available here.

Supposedly, the older version of Flip4Mac player pro, which would allow you to export your WMV file as a regular, non-wmv Quicktime .mov file, is the only other alternative, but I have no idea how Flip4Mac is handling the license fee for the older version of Player Pro. You can post on their message board about that. They are very good at responding quickly.

Edit: According to this thread over at Flip4Mac, you may need to roll even further back to F4M version 1.0.1 or earlier to play the file again. Unfortunately, 1.0.2 is the earliest version available for download on Flip4Mac's website. Again, posting on Flip4Mac's board explaining the problem might get you access to an earlier version. On the plus side, they are apparently aware of the problem, so it may be fixed on an upcoming version.

Well, that's not true. Flip4Mac DOES handle wmv3 just fine, as well as WMP for Mac (Version 9). VLC, on the other hand, does not handle wmv3.