video footage after editing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bursty, Feb 16, 2004.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

i got my new powerbook 3 days ago, and have already started making my home movies into dvds. The problem is, i have just left all the raw footage on my HD, and i have already gone from an 80 gig, to 35 gig free. I know DV takes up big space, but what do you guys do with your video once you've edited it.....if i just delete it, i will have to rip the dvd back onto the computer to do any future editing.....

what do you all do with your DV after editing?

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Usually, I export the finished video, the finished video without music and the better clips from the raw footage. Once I can afford it, a 200 gig FW harddrive is going to be a my desk.

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

yeah im kinda borderline as to whether or not i wanna spend another 200 bucks or so for an external 200 gig, right after i just paid for the PB

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I usually export to DVD first, then if I feel like I might need to use the full-quality footage again, I'll also put it on a MiniDV tape, which don't cost all that much. If I think I might actually want to re-edit the thing, I'll back it up to an external FW drive, but that gets expensive really fast.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Send it back to the camcorder in the edited clip state, sure, you'll have to re-import when you want to edit, but the options are expensive.

FW HD's are getting cheaper all the time, DVD-r data storage is OK, but slow, expensive and limited.

In the end, finishing the video and exporting to DVD-v with all the bells and whistles is the best option, you can dump all the source then.

6. Biker21098 macrumors member

Firewire

I use an external FW drive, plus my old 450MHz desktop. It isnt too expensive if you buy 3.5" internal HD then buy an enclosure for as cheap as 20-40 bucks. Then you have a nice external HD for backing up, and for DV storage. I have 500GB with a FW800 connection for the PBook. It wasn't too expensive considering the amount of space I have. I got two Western Digital 250GB HD's for only 120 each. I think, trying to remember, if you wait for mail in rebates you can get great deals. Mini DV tape just like VHS has a storage life, as do HD's i guess. I know i have corrupted tapes sometimes. So if you can scrounge the money for an external HD its the way to go. I'm going on 1.3TB total of HD space. It just keeps getting cheaper. good luck

7. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Re: Firewire

how did you get those Western Digitals so cheap?

8. Biker21098 macrumors member

HD

umm it was best buy one day. that 120 each, so in all with tax or so i think it was like 265 or 270 who knows it was about 2 months ago. but now i ahve a nice enclosure with temp gauges, and a life timer etc. nice too, hold two drives and they are on sleds all swappable. here the link. FW dual tray enclosure
    its awesome. i love it. alumiium housing to went heat. key unlocks and locks each try, plus also can turn off the poer to a tray but its still locked. i ahve two WD25000JB in there, noe heat issues, usually never more than 88 deg, under moderate use. jumpers on teh back of each tray to swithc jumper settings w/o having to pull the whoel HD out of the tray. so whoel thing set and done, it was 500 bucks, for 500 GB portable and FW 800 and 400. it has a 400 port whcih wa a plesent surprise as i have an old G4 450MHz that is gettign tired and old with 5 HD in it and 2 power supplies that are both dying and barely powering it all. hope thsi helps. oh by the way, by PBook is a victim of the white spots, and it has a keyboard that is popping up and down, very annoying, going to get it in to apple, when i can spare it, maybe spring break. ok. hope that helps

9. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I've done a bit of video editing, and since I'm a bit of a pack rat, I tend to keep all my raw footage archived. I just chop up the raw data into blocks that fit onto removeable media. So, in your case, I'd burn a bunch of data DVDs of all the stuff that matters.

- Mark

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My hard disk is only for the current video project. Raw footage is on Mini-DV tapes. Results go back to Mini-DV tapes (plus any other export media I create). I keep the original tapes and don't reuse them, so I can reconstruct the whole project if I ever need to.