Video from MBP -> TV - wireless transmission?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Temujin, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Anybody heard of a device enabling my MBP to transmit video to my TV wirelessly?

Kind of like an Airport Express enables me to transmit audio to my stereo.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

iTV is being worked on and was previewed at the last Keynote. See Apple.coms quicktime page or search iTV on MacRumors. :)

Its quite big news so I cant believe you havent heard of it. :eek:

3. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

:eek: Sure I've heard of it.....but haven't really read into what it's capable of.
    From what I remember from the keynote it was something about streaming movies from the internet. I'm more interested in playing local material.
    But maybe I should read more about it :D

4. Motley macrumors 6502

Nobody really knows what it'll do. The idea is that it will recieve wirelessly media files from a comp and play them in a frontrow-ish like interface. The main purpose being to play movies and tv shows downloaded from the itunes store.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not from the internet, from your computer.

You download content from the iTunes Store to your computer and use "iTV" to stream it to your television.

It's basically a video-enabled Airport Express with a built-in interface, I actually suggested something similar ages ago but couldn't figure out how to implement it. Never thought "a little box that goes on your telly." :rolleyes:

6. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Been reading up on things. Im really looking forward to hearing more about this thing, and to see a detailed spec chart.

I hope Apple will keep the price at a reasonable level. An AirPort Express Base Station is highly overpriced IMO, and if iTV were to surpass that price by a too much I'm not buying.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Steve says $299 (A$449) - all the americans on this site reckon it's expensive, I think it's a pretty good price, what does that say about the relative prices of technology between there and here? :D

8. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

$299 is expensive. The prices tend to be a bit higher here in Denmark, so it will probably be like $350 - $400 over here.

Airport Express
    US: $129
    DK: $165

Bummer :(