Video Games Actually Can Be Good for You

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacNut, Sep 27, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Video Games Actually Can Be Good for You
    By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

(Sept. 27) - Several times a week before dinner, Janet and Jim Herlihey of West Chester, Pa., remind their sons Michael, who is 12, and Paul, 10, to get in a good half hour of video game time before eating.

Parents telling their kids to play video games? That's right. The boys are among the estimated 5% to 7% of children who have attention deficit disorder, and video games, as prescribed by their psychologist, have helped them learn to focus, their mother says.

In addition to a Sony PlayStation 2, the family has some special equipment: a S.M.A.R.T. BrainGames system that consists of a special controller, a helmet with built-in sensors for monitoring brain activity and a Smartbox that receives the brain signals.

As long as the boys remain calmly focused on the game, it plays normally, says their Philadelphia psychologist Domenic Greco. But if a player's mind wanders, the Smartbox sends a signal to the controller hindering acceleration or character movement in the game.

The Herliheys connected online with Greco, who designed the system by adapting a similar one that NASA used for pilot training. After treating the boys last year at his office in Philadelphia, he recommended the at-home video game therapy.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-09-26-video-game-therapy_x.htm

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

This isn't really news, tbh. I have a friend who uses the exact same principle. At school, he's ever so quiet and calm, but when he goes home, there's all sorts of violent games. Why? Because he's actually quite a violent person, but he lets all his stress and whatnot into the game, and not into other people.

Also, gaming can increase your reflexes by quite a bit

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think its better to see a story like this over how video games are destroying our kids.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed. and it is a known fact that video games, especially the racing ones, sharpen one's reaction times and reflexes in real life. :D

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Video games help to build strong arm and hand muscles. Necessary for geeks who find it hard to get dates with girls.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I could reply with something but it would be in bad taste. :D

7. katchow macrumors 6502

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i've never understood that. I've been in fights before (not started by me :p )and i used to play lots of violent games, but its nowhere near the same! i just cant see how games can relieve violent tendencies. when i was a kid of around 10-13 i played a LOT of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 on my Amiga. and now im the calmest and most pacifist person i know. then again i do workout and i hear that calms you down.

they say that gaming helps your hand/eye co-ordination.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

true! probably! I play a lot of F-Zero GX (just try it :eek: ) and im a fast person in real life.

10. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Ok, I laughed out loud at that. Really loud.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Video games make you smarter

Video games help you learn

Video games make you more violent

Video games don't make you more violent

Bottom line: you can't generalize about "video games." Video games are much too complex a subject. The game in the article is actually a biofeedback system masquerading as a game to get kids to learn to focus their attention. There are games to teach you how to fight, or how to read, or how to type. Suggesting that all video games do one thing or another is simply overgeneralizing.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

yeah cept my ADD friend god obsessed with video games now its the only thing he does anymore hes like 17 hasnt had a girl friend, gone to a school football game, OR GOTTEN A PERMIT/LICENSE :eek:

13. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

So how is this not news?

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you just described most people on this board who are 17 (well i'm two out of three0

15. Catfish Jones macrumors member

I was single until age 22 (and back to single again) and didn't have a drivers license until 23. I wouldn't attribute it to video games though. Have any of you ever sat down and worked out how much girlfriends/cars cost? The money is better spent elsewhere, like videos games.

Something interesting I read a couple of months ago in a science magazine (something about building planets on the front cover) is that video games improve your peripheral vision. (plus a bunch of other stuff already mentioned) I thought that was pretty odd and interesting.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

cost is one thing fun is another video games dont make up for real life, though in moderation theyre a hell of alot of fun. I spend quite a few days this summer playing battlefield 2 till the servers shut down.

spent* I wrote spend cause im a moron

17. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Errr... Video Games actually do the opposite for me. Hand muscles sure, but arm muscles? I don't think so. I haven't been to the Gym or done any physical labor for about 2 months, been going to school now, and playing Video Games much more often (Every day). I'm terribly out of shape, and need to start going back to the Gym. You don't generally see gamers with bulging biceps dude. XD

How would games effect arm muscles anyway...?

18. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Games may help us in many ways, but I sincerely doubt peripheral vision. Maybe for people with 40" monitors, but for us 15" guys, errr... the opposite! You have to focus! I have a 23" plasma screen for my other comp, but I play games in windowed mode so I can multitask. Oh well :p

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Revolution might...

Hey, how about a weightlifting game!

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Periferal vison is actually a likely one you dont need a 40inch monitor the edges of the monitor act as the periferal. If you play shooters (like bf2 and socom not like halo) your eye becomes moe addept at picking out objects that are not part of the landscape and movement i helps all of your vision including periferal.

21. Catfish Jones macrumors member

Yep, peripheral vision is pretty much anything in your field of view that you're not looking at directly. Actually, after I posted that I read this link posted earlier by wordmunger. Good stuff.

Now if you -did- have a 40-inch TV for your Xbox... you'd have teh uber peripheral vision. At least, that's what you'd tell yourself when you shelled out the $4,000. ;)

22. chicagogordon macrumors newbie

chicagogordon

another benefit

i don't think this has been touched upon, but, unlike most games i've played, there is one that seems to be having a positive effect on my life.

Sims.

as a live-alone bachelor, since i started playing this game, i've noticed my dishes get done more often, trash goes out more frequently, and things are generally more attended to here in my apartment. i'm even spending more time thinking about my future. haha!

that must count for something.
    :)

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Thats because god (aka the person running your life) entered the cheat code that allows him pick up your trash and wash your dishes and shoot somebody. ;)

24. chicagogordon macrumors newbie

chicagogordon

well, that explains it.

gee.. i hope he runs me on the Hot Date expansion! woo hoo!:D

25. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz