Video iChat and DSL lite not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Learjet035, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

I got my Mom and Granny to switch to Mac, and they love it. However...
    I can't get Video iChat to work with either of them. My Dad had the faster DSL, as well do I,and we can iChat no prob. My Mom and Granny have the slowest version (lite) and we can only use the IM features. We always get a connection error, that I'm sorry I can't remember what the error was but it's the same every time. Anything that can fix this, or are we SOL? Thanks!

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

SOL, I believe. I know someone who had the same issue. You'll need more speed.

3. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. Think I'll have any luck with Skype? I don't want to talk them through all that and then have it not work too. =(

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

How fast is this 'Lite' DSL? According to Apple's site, the requirement is only 100Kbps for one-on-one video chat. I'm sure this 'lite' DSL is faster than 100Kbps. You might want to check the dsl modem or router used on their end and make sure it doesn't block any ports needed by iChatAV. If it does, that could cause some problems.

5. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

it says on their site 256/128 for lite. Maybe it's the upload speed? Any ideas how to check that? I have no idea. Thanks

6. xlopez macrumors member

Slow

I've come to learn that you shouldn't pay too much attention to the usually advertised speeds for applications like these. 256 down, while exceeds the 100k mark, most likely actually fluctuates between 120-150 kbps - sometimes lower. It depends on the line quality and the internet provider. Whenever you have some free time check sites like dslreports.com to test your connection speed. I'd recommend checking the line speed and if there's nothing wrong, then your family simply needs more speed for this kind of stuff. Working with internet over marginal differences from the 'required speed' means that you can get it to work, but it's not guaranteed it will be a good experience. Maybe getting the next cheapest DSL plan is the answer. Hope that helps from an IP side, as I've always had problems like this. Good luck.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    when in doubt, use Skype. I am trying to totally move away from iChat/AIM just cuz it's so spotty when connecting with my friends on XP. Skype is so much better than aim/iChat..it's almost shocking...

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's probably 256 kb downstream and 128 kb upstream then. To test your actual line speed you can always just go to a site like SpeakEasy. There are many others as well, just google them. :cool:

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It sounds like BellSouth. Their cheapest deal is supposedly faster than dialup, but none of that speed is guaranteed really. When I asked them concerning the package with 1.5 Mbps download speed, they told me that 256 Kbps was guaranteed. Hopefully, the same ratio doesn't apply.

10. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

11. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup ever since they went to intel, mac can now use DSL. ;-)
    Only Lite though. I think when Tiger come out we can get Cable too.