Video in on iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Whiteapple, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Hi everyone,

I was planning to get one of these new iMacs core duo + another display for my pc (only for gaming, i promise :p) , but then I realized, the iMac IS a display. Does anyone have any idea of how I could get XP to display on the 1680x1050 pixels of a 20 inch either by DVI or analog? I thought about a video acquisition card, but it seems like you cannot display more than 720x576.
    Hopefully one of you has a solution :D

Thanks

PS: is there by any chance a way to do this on an iSight iMac?

2. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Sorry bud, but there is not video in on an iMac, just video out. The new Intel iMac lets you edtend your desktop to a second monitor, while the previous iMacs would only let you mirror the desktop unless you applied a hack to enable the extended desktop.

The only way to get video in on an iMac is with an external TV tuner like those from Elgato, but that's not what you're looking for if you want to use it as a PC display. There's just no good way of doing that, especially for gaming.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

The best option for you would probably be a 20" Dell 2005FPW (usually found for around $450, sometimes on sale for $380) and either get a PowerMac, Mac Mini, or PowerBook (MacBook). This would be better for you, since you would be able to purchase KVM switch, have ONE keyboard/mouse and ONE monitor and easily just flick the switch to take control of the Mac or PC. :)

4. Whiteapple thread starter macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Thanks very much. I was considering the fact of getting a MacBook , or so we call it, I think this would actually be a very good choice indeed.
    Do the G5 DP or Quad support video in?

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Nope, none do. Especially those without a screen built in...wouldn't really be a point. :)

If you get the MacBook pro, you could also get the 20" LCD I mentioned and hook it up to both your PC and MacBook for desktop use. If you've never heard of a "KVM Switch" look into it, they're really neat and extremely useful!

Good luck with your purchase!

6. Whiteapple thread starter macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Very neat indeed, but my trouble is that they aparently do not support DVI interface which would be even neater :) But I can be wrong and would be very pleased to be shown that I am :p

Thanks

7. Whiteapple thread starter macrumors regular

Whiteapple

I take this off. I am stoopid.

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ext-dvikvm-241.html

this one looks great. But, trouble, would the mighty mouse and the apple pro keyboard actually be able to usable on the pc? drivers needed? is it like there is one usb port for the mouse and another one for the keyboard? that would be kewl!