Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Hey Guys,

I was looking through the iPod Photo firmware from the recent update (03/23/05) and found something interesting. They added 3 new images, which I will now show you.

bmap9731.jpg

bmap9730.jpg

bmap9729.jpg

Note: these are new images that weren't in the last iPod photo firmware update.

So whats my interpretation of it? Well thats obviously a video camera symbol similar to the one you see in iTunes next to videos. my guess? a sure-fire sign that the iPod will play (certain) videos.

The (?) one is probably a "format not recognised" symbol for videos that can't play.

The last one is most definitely a filmstrip. Whats this for? idk, but it sure looks interesting.

So what do you guys think?

For you techy guroos, the application I used to extract these is "alterPod"

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
wow that would be great. But as Steve said in an old keynote, there is no way of getting video to put on an ipod...Maybe the iTMS will start selling videos...and u can copy full movies to your ipod...then hook it up to a tv.... :D

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
It is inevitable that there will be a video iPod, I bet the Photos could do it right now if Apple opened them up. I would use the video feature all the time. I am always ripping Family Guy, Futurama and Seinfeld episodes so that I can watch them on my PSP. But I only have a 512mb card so I can only hold about 8 episodes. If they made an iPod Video, I could hold all the episodes I have. I'm holding off on a new iPod until they do. My mini is so beat up, but I don't mind, it means I can bring it anywhere with me and not care.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
This would be awesome, something to do on long road trips, or when you just need to show someone a tv show that you thought of. (It's happened plenty of times for me)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
remember steve saying all the problems with video players?

self response: remember steve saying all the problems with flash based players?

summary: i think that it will only be for music videos and the type of suff that is sold on iTMS. i doubt it will turn into a movie store. apple will create a new ipod for that..

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
killuminati said:
wow that would be great. But as Steve said in an old keynote, there is no way of getting video to put on an ipod...Maybe the iTMS will start selling videos...and u can copy full movies to your ipod...then hook it up to a tv.... :D

You can already get music videos with certain albums/singles. Not a big whoop, but it's something to use on a video ipod nonetheless.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
I'm looking forward to the day when I can go for a long bike ride and flip down the 6" LCD monitor attached to my bike helmet's visor and enjoy a movie being played through my iPod!

I imagine those long bike rides are going to be over before I know it.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Perhaps this feature will come out in the new iTunes (with podcasting version... V4.9? or V5?).. timeframe.. Steve Jobs, "Within 60 days" (of WWDC)... so who knows!

Could you list the directory path you went through please! I'm looking but cannot find!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
That icon means nothing and the icon is not hidden on the iPod. When I was in Thailand I took some videos with my camera. When I used the Camera Connecter and uploaded everything, there were a few video icons that indicated my uploaded videos. If you click them if would simply say that they cannot be played on an iPod and that you need to transfer the videos to a computer to play them.

jon

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
rt_brained said:
I'm looking forward to the day when I can go for a long bike ride and flip down the 6" LCD monitor attached to my bike helmet's visor and enjoy a movie being played through my iPod!

I imagine those long bike rides are going to be over before I know it.

Yeah, crashing can put a quick end to a long bike ride, that's for sure!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if the newest iPod photos already had the technical capability to play back music videos are videos taken on cameras. Even if it did, I think they will keep this disabled until it becomes a standard feature that everyone can enjoy. Great find!!!

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
iJon said:
That icon means nothing and the icon is not hidden on the iPod. When I was in Thailand I took some videos with my camera. When I used the Camera Connecter and uploaded everything, there were a few video icons that indicated my uploaded videos. If you click them if would simply say that they cannot be played on an iPod and that you need to transfer the videos to a computer to play them.

jon

That would make sense, but Apple's gonna release a video iPod eventually anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.