Video Ipod Issues So Far

Discussion in 'iPod' started by oldmanmax, Nov 9, 2005.

1. oldmanmax macrumors member

Nov 8, 2005
    Upstate NY
    1. Battery life seems short, even when just doing audio. Brought to apple store and was told I would have to leave it at the store for a couple of days so they can discharge it and recharge it to see how long the battery really last, guess I am lieing?
    2. Screen not fully transfering from Playlist to music, got half the playlist screen and half of the music screen. Called store and was told it was probably something I loaded on ipod, told to "reformat harddrive and put everything back on, was told its a hard drive, you know things happen". Hope that was not the genuis bar I got.
    3. System shut down while listening to audio, and system would not unlock. Had to reset the system.
    4. Called apple care, now there was a joke, they close 6pm Pacific time, not any help for us folks, guess no one is suppose to have any issues after 6pm. Think jobs has made enough $$$ we could have 24/7 support.

Tomorrow it goes back to the apple store to be replaced, lets see if they do it.
  2. crazyjoeda macrumors member

Oct 7, 2005
    Sounds like you have a defective iPod.

I think the battery life is to short on mine although its a bit longer for audio than my mini ever was, but the video kills it in a couple hours. I plan to get a battery pack for a long plane trip. All and all im quite happy with it.
  3. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2005
    I've had to reset my video ipod once. But that is the only technically 'thing' that has gone wrong with mine.

Aside from the easy scratching, I am happy with my video ipod and glad I bought it. :) Glad I bought those screen protectors for the screen, too. I can live with the scratching on the other part of the ipod.
  4. dunnomuch macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005
    Hey Guys

This will probably sound like a really dumb questions for you. You know how the video iPod plays MPEG4 files. This means that I can play all my downloaded mpg files right? mpg is pretty much the same as MPEG4 right? Thanks in advance.
  5. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    No, videos have to be converted to a specific MPEG4 or H264 file. The iPods seem to be pretty picky as to what they will accept.
  6. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    regarding the battery, my actual battery seems great, it plays a full 2.5 hour video and i can still listen to music for at least 15's just the battery meter that i have issues with. ah well, i'll just have to keep running it until it dies instead of relying on that PoS meter...maybe they'll fix it in a firmware update...:rolleyes: