VIDEO IPOD LEAK! Once again engadget gets a rumor before macrumors.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spacehog371, Oct 5, 2005.

1. spacehog371 macrumors regular

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000067061993/

BBC accidentally reveals video iPod?
    Posted Oct 5, 2005, 5:00 PM ET by Peter Rojas
    Related entries: Portable Video

Want some more evidence that Apple is getting ready to drop a video iPod on us next week? (Yeah, we know this contradicts what ThinkSecret reported earlier today about Jobs unveiling new Power Macs and PowerBooks.) Well, according to our good friends over at iLounge, earlier today BBC 6 accidentally let slip that, “Apple is set to unveil a new video iPod at the BBC Television Centre in London on October the 12th,” and that the company is “expected to reveal details of the new MP3 and video player as well as video bundles to be available from the company’s iTunes stores.” Stands to reason that the BBC would be one of Apple’s content partners — they’ve been notoriously forward-thinking in their plans to put their TV and radio show archives online — and somewhat suspiciously the broadcast mentioning the new iPod has since been pulled from the BBC’s website. The plot thickens.

Macrumors has really started to slack on the whole rumor thing.

I am already preparing to buy another iPod next week...who's going to join me?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of a litigation thing, Macrumors cannot get slapped with damages (they can get still sued, but have little chance of losing) for rebroadcasting rumors.

But, the people releasing rumors can get slapped silly for the being the one that makes initial release. ;)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The video iPod story has been all over this forum for some time. I fail to see your point. :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. andysmith macrumors 6502

Interesting rumour. It would be really nice if the vPod could tie in with the BBC's iMP trial, but I doubt it because it uses WindowsMedia.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

dude, give them i break. the story only broke a while ago..besides, today's a busy rumour day ;)

6. spacehog371 thread starter macrumors regular

um...did you not read that tidbit at the top...the part where it says bbc accidentally leaked what the event was about. Hopefully not, you haven't seen that on either the forums or either of macrumors main pages did you? I'd say thats a pretty telling sign that the video ipod is coming, and you don't see that as something macrumors should report?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Edit: nevermind, not worth the trouble

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

This is article has the same picture that numerous other threads have concluded is fake.

Garmin GPS+PocketPC Screenshot+clickwheel+lots of grain and compression= failure of a leak.

Though did BBC actually say anything to the effect of “Apple is set to unveil a new video iPod at the BBC Television Centre in London on October the 12th,”???? If so, then.... well, i better pony up and make a quick $500.

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

And if you are going by that picture, don't. dozens of us have already rubbished it today.

10. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Eh, I get lots of mail alerts in my email inbox...Every story is sounding extremely sure that Apple's going to unveil a 'vPod'. The BBC quotes you're giving me don't really say anything new. Unless they're going to have an Apple Spokesperson or Jobs or someone of authority on there, I'm not going to make the 'vPod' the definite release for this upcoming week.

Although, I really do think that it's going to be a vPod :p

11. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Nah, I still prefer the name iPod AV. Sounds a lot more apple, unless they were to decide upon iPod Movie, but that would be concentrating on one aspect of the visuals and ignoring the music altogether.

12. spacehog371 thread starter macrumors regular

The picture by the story has nothing to do with what I'm saying. They just put that up because it kind of looks like it. Yes, it is fake...we already know that...read what the story says.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We did read the story... <yawn>

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Are you 12? :rolleyes:

15. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

not sure if i see the need to have a video ipod. am i the only one that thinks this? :confused:

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

no one does. its pointless. i would never watch any videos on my iPod. I don't even do that on my PSP. Its just a selling point.

I use my iPod for listening to music or transferring files..... and my PSP to play games. I would never need something to play videos...

17. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Umm, just because you wouldn't buy it doesn't mean no one will. Somehow I think a video iPod might just sell pretty well for a "pointless" product.

18. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Remember the hoard of people on here when the original ipod was released? "big woop, its just an0ther mp3 pl4yer". "is gonna flooop...." "who would pay $400 for a music player?" "who would use it? you don't need 5 gigs of music"

i do.

apple does a quality job. i trust them, and if this is legit, I think they're smart enough to make it sellable. they're not just going to lob something onto the market with giant headlines that say "now plays video!". but, i suppose we'll see.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

20. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Whoa there, iGary. Why the harshness?

21. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

He's 18 according to his profile. :p

22. mac-er macrumors 65816

This has been posted like 5 other times on this site.

It has been determined to be a Toshiba PDA.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=152956

Get off it.

23. robcts macrumors regular

I hope not, it'll be another thing I want to buy after just getting a nano. :eek:

24. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

it looks like a nano, but with a HUGE screen. if it came with a camera, phone, more games, more apps, more storage space, and all flash memory, i would get it. but, if it doesn't, ill stick with my reliable 6gb mini.

25. petej macrumors regular

The BBC - a long time apple supporter - have been lacking in Quicktime content on their website. The broadband news and sport articles have all been windows media and real media. Their FAQ support pages have always acknowledged this deficiency and promised something in the future. Even with the new iMP - interactive media player - that the BBC are trialing, Quicktime is missing. The iMP is one of the neatest things to come from the BBC in a long time. If you miss a programme, the go to the website and download it - so long as you are a UK resident.
    For a company that has historically tried to avoid any tie in to a specific vendor / distribution platform, the lack of quicktime is unusual. I had always suspected that the BBC would be one of the first to tie in to iTunes / Quicktime content distribution and this confirms this. The iMP is probably just the BBC making sure that that it is evenhanded and making sure that it can offer content through Windows Media and Real. The corporation has to be careful not to give too much publicity to a profit making company.

Apple featured BBC HD content when QT 7 was launched.
    BBC has just invested heavily in a Final Cut environment reported by Apple
    BBC always gives Apple press (arguably more than it gives to the other side)