Video iPod makes Oprah's favorite things for 2005

Discussion in 'iPod' started by EricNau, Nov 24, 2005.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Oprah made her list of favorite things for 2005 and the iPod Video was one of them. Everyone in the audience, which was composed of hurricane Katrina relief workers, received a 30 GB iPod Video for free.

Some other items included the...
    • BlackBerry 7105T™ from T-Mobile
    • Sony VAIO® FJ Notebook
    http://www2.oprah.com/presents/2005/holiday/gifts/gifts_oft.jhtml

gifts_oft_106_350x263.jpg

This is not the first time an iPod has been featured as one of Oprah's favorite things.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I always watch Oprah when I happen to catch it on the tube. She's one of my favorites.

Last year, I think she gave away a Dell DJ, and the year before that, it was the 3G 10GB iPods. The audience is lucky and deserved it.

What I love about her Favorite Things, is the audience is completely clueless, so when they all start receiving gifts such as plasma TVs and $2,000 washer and dryers, it's all entertaining to watch the audience members' reactions. I clap and ecstatically yell along with them from my sofa.

I missed this episode. I'll try finding it off BitTorrent.

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The items you mentioned were among the better ones, but considering Oprah's reference to her guests as American heroes, this year's "Favorite Things" show was somewhat disappointing when compared to prior giveaways.

Of course, anything received should be appreciated, but it was interesting to read in the paper that the average value of all items received by Monday's studio audience members was approximately $7,300 compared to over $14,000 the prior year. I thought there was too much emphasis on popcorn, brownies, croissants, perfume and face lotions.

Oprah's reputation for generosity is well-deserved and a few weeks ago she gave someone a new home and yesterday announced that fifty people devastated by Katrina would be among the first receiving homes built by "Habitat for Humanity."

4. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I mentioned the other items that were electronic - I figured most on MR would not care much for lotion and perfume.

I agree, in the past she has given away more - but really, these people didn't expect anything. Something she never mentioned the price on was a designer watch with 50 diamonds in it - those can't be cheap. :eek: I suspect it was more than the $1600 laptop.

5. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

It would be awesome if oprah gave ibooks or powerbooks away, then she would switch about 100 people.

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

They were very lucky to get all that, but they deserved it.

Oprah is really generous, something most celebs arent.

7. Must.Get.nano! macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

If i made like 900 000 000 000$ an episode for asking the most obvious questions on this earth i would give 2000$ washer/dryers away to...:rolleyes:

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think companies donate their products to be included. It's good advertising and PR.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

10. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've heard the same thing.