Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phil989

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
theres a number of different issues this throws up. at present, itunes 'automatically update song son ipod' is very useful ( in my opinion) because i want music on my computer at home, and on my ipod 'on-the-go'. however, why it may be true that we don't have enough space for 10 movies on computer, an 80 or 100 gb ipod video would be plenty. handbrake typically converts a 2 hour film into a 1 gig file, at (from my experiences) no visible quality loss.

i think that possibly a combined service is in order, so we have the choice of renting, buying, (al-a-Napster) or a subscription service.

Phil

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
I pretty much agree with Jobs.

Buy Movies: Yes!
Rent Movies/PPV: Yes!
Subscription Service: Meh.

A ton of people buy DVDs. A ton of people rent DVDs. A much smaller percentage have subscription plans (just my gut feeling, no stats to back up). A subscription plan wouldn't hurt, but keep it simple.

zuckthetree

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2006
nagromme said:
The short sides are ~ .3" (again not couting the extra black which LCDs have around them) and the long sides are thinner at ~ .23"

(Now, should you count the black or not? How thick would the black be? Even with a fixed LCD and housing size, the white margins can vary based on how much extra black is around the image.)

Anyway, I can see this rumor being total vapor, but if it's real, the dimensions need not be precise: the margins could be "about" a quarter inch. The case could be "about" the same size as a 4G. The screen could be "about" 4". Etc.

Correct :) From the VR of the CIC.
BUT... it needs to fit the HiFi...

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
ScottB said:
Cool a 4 inch screen isn't that bad but I can't say I'm interested in a movie store. But presumably this blows the exspected April 1st iBook updates out of the water?

New iBooks on Tuesday. ;)

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Widescreen?

The other question I have is which format will they use 16x9 or 16x10. The 5G iPod form factor would fit a 4" 16x10 nicely. While the 4G form factor would fit a 16x9 format nicely. The 16x10 would display 4x3 TV shows better!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
NOTE: I changed the attachment to my previous post: my first image had a math error and was NOT 16:9 (it was 16:10 making the margins even more different).

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/2193972/

zuckthetree said:
BUT... it needs to fit the HiFi...
As long as it's close (not TOO much bigger), it can fit any docking product, simply by including the needed adapter.

Ace25

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
I really hope that they do not do a pay-to-own service.
This is already a hassle with TV shows. They take up too much hardrive space and I am very unlikely to watch them again. Same with movies and they take up even more space.

It would be ideal if iTunes offered a subscription model (similar to NetFlix, but with no delivery delay).

TV shows - $1.00 (expire in 5 days)

Movies - $4 - $5 (expire in 7-10 days)

Perfect!

I basically described the rental model above. The subscription model at $10-$15 per month with unlimited viewing of movies and TV would be awesome too.

deadturtle

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
And a new data center to boot

I guess this would be a latch onto that 45mil redundant data center they just bought?

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
This one will be interesting to watch. I wold be happy with either a low priced monthly payment or a cheap purchase price. Right now I can go to a used DVD/CD store and get DVDs from $5 and up - or I can watch out for the specials that are advertised weekly. Either way I don't pay full retail. If I buy from Apple's store I'll have to move it to a DVD for long term "backup" and that adds to the costs.

The questions I have are related to using a full video iPod. WIll you be able to slip your own movies into your Mac and download them into the iPod - like you do music? Would that mean that Apple would have another iLife app for ripping DVDs and watching on the Mac or downloading to the iPod. Sort of like Mac-the-Ripper but with some very good compression? I actually wouldn't mind that as I could keep a hand full of movies on the PB for long business trips better than carrying around a stack of DVDs.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Ace25 said:
This is already a hassle with TV shows. They take up too much hardrive space and I am very unlikely to watch them again. Same with movies and they take up even more space.
Ironically, this system is good for the movie companies for the very reasons you posted..

My guess is they will offer both a subscription and pay to own service.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
ipod0324 said:
Could this new iPod be trying to compete with Microsoft's new Origami project?
No, because if this rumor is true, these iPods are within a month of release. Oragami is barely out of the concept stage, if that.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A variation on my mockup. This one extends the black area around the LCD so that the border is even (.22 or .23" all the way around).

Looks like an unlikely solution to me. Assuming 16:9 (wider would be odd), I think more likely the white margins would be allowed to vary a little like my first mockup (or else the whole thing isn't quite 5G-sized).

BTW with regards to what such a device DOES--don't get your hopes up, you'll only ask for disaappointment. The thing might never even exist, but if it does, don't dream of PDAs and smart phones. It could be JUST an iPod, doing JUST the same things iPods do now--but with a bigger screen. Touch-based scrolling yes, but that doesn't mean styluses, and note-taking and all kinds of other things. I don't see the iPod going in that direction probably--even though I think that would be cool.

Attachments

• Nagromme4-InchVariation.jpg
    Nagromme4-InchVariation.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 242

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
So how would a subscription model work? I mean, if everybody pays $9.99, what determines the share of that money each movie company gets?

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
Stella said:
I don't mind subscription for movies - if its good I'll buy the DVD. However, movies are different from music - i want to own my music. Apple have it absolutely correct, the rest, IMO, are waaaay off.

Any music announcement will unfortunately be redundant for the majority of this planet, because I suspect apple will be once again focusing on the u.s. Its about time apple announce whether or not they will be rolling out video content for the rest of the world. Therefore, any video ipod won't be that attractive - what's the point of owning one if there is no video content.

Look for Apple its now all about education, as it was in the past, by using iTMS and podcasting to make Universities educations a one stop shop, they revolutionize higher education in every way that University mamagement desires.

This will use a LOT of band width and this is probably why Apple is expanding thier work force so greately right now.

What I am talking about is not really plane to see iTMS yet but if click the Stanford icon you will see the beginnings.

Now as the university is revolutionized by podcasting there will be an HUGE opportunity to change it much further by using 3D software that has verticle components to hook up contracters so they bid on jobs, jobs that have been brocken up into such small peices that anyone will be able to participate, and designers will be running the show -- but Apple is so conservative I doubt that they will take it this far.

Although eBay could easily take it this far, think of the eBay of job markets !!!

For high tech workers the university would become a gathering place, were they would get together with the best proffessor to design and build the most cutting edge stuff, and they would stay at the university their entire working lives as the university would provide support to protect their intellectual property and give them clout.

But it is not clear that they would have to live near the university, probably for the top level people, but maybe not.

The best proffessors lectures will be greatly leveraged so the total number of professors will be greately reduced over time, BUT if universities do not start paying ALL of their students to attand they will be missing a huge opportunity.

Univerisities thrive on competition, the best universities would become much better by paying all of their students to attend and then charging them for use of the facilities and podcasting and getting a cut buy helping then to design and sell products. :eek:

Blogs are part of this, if Apple does not soon start selling a movie making WiFi phone to instantly create the better blog they have LOST IT, some smaller company will take over !!!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So its basicall the Archos AV500.. just it ipod black & white....

The Av500 gets 4 hours battery life on video and 15 with audio. I imagine the same for the new ipod....

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
kenaustus said:
This one will be interesting to watch. I wold be happy with either a low priced monthly payment or a cheap purchase price. Right now I can go to a used DVD/CD store and get DVDs from $5 and up - or I can watch out for the specials that are advertised weekly. Either way I don't pay full retail. If I buy from Apple's store I'll have to move it to a DVD for long term "backup" and that adds to the costs.

The questions I have are related to using a full video iPod. WIll you be able to slip your own movies into your Mac and download them into the iPod - like you do music? Would that mean that Apple would have another iLife app for ripping DVDs and watching on the Mac or downloading to the iPod. Sort of like Mac-the-Ripper but with some very good compression? I actually wouldn't mind that as I could keep a hand full of movies on the PB for long business trips better than carrying around a stack of DVDs.
i don't see why apple would prevent people from adding their own video content.

i think you misunderstand what MTR does. MTR is NOT a compression application...it basically removes macrovision and other security measures that prevent you from copying the DVD. handbrake is used by most mac people to convert DVD->mpeg/h.264 content. you can choose a number of compression options. others use iSquint to get content ipod-sized (although handbrake now allows you to do this as well). apple will NOT provide software to rip DVDs onto our ipods...no way.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Ace25 said:

It would be ideal if iTunes offered a subscription model (similar to NetFlix, but with no delivery delay).

TV shows - $1.00 (expire in 5 days)

Movies - $4 - $5 (expire in 7-10 days)

Perfect!

I basically described the rental model above. The subscription model at $10-$15 per month with unlimited viewing of movies and TV would be awesome too.

Way too much for a rental....Blockbuster is only 2.99...pay per view from the cable company is only 3.50....

No way would I spend $5 on a rental, I would just go and buy the movie.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
mrgreen4242 said:
I wonder if this was supposed to be the announcement for last Tuesday, but the movie deal held them up longer than they had expected? Would explain the lameness of the event. :/

If they put a hi-res 4" touchscreen on a 5g iPod both it better have PDA feature and wireless internet options. Would be such a waste otherwise.
= 30 minute playback time.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
XIII said:
I would much prefer the once pay, always own.

However, this has me really excited. Unfortunately, haven't ThinkSecret been off recently? I want this iPod a lot. :)
Owning is nice since you can watch whenever you want to. However, there are those movies that I'd like to see, but not neccessarily want to own (or those that once I do see it, definately not want to own).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Has it occured to anyone that when you go to the movies on a friday night, you're just "renting" the movie?

With the new iMacs, Mac mini's, and PowerBooks with Frontrow, Apple is reinventing the home theater. Movie theater attendance is down, where as people are watching movies at home. This is just apple's way to get into the home theater business!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.