video Ipods. pointless ?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by G wizz, Aug 6, 2006.

1. G wizz macrumors member

I have a mini ipod, but was looking at a video Ipod, then thought, will I ever use the video. How many of you use the video option on a regular basis. I find myself wanting everything apple. But am I wasting my time or should I wait for the next generation. I am so icthing to own a Ipad (PDA) but will one ever materialise:( :( :(

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Well...

Of course, it depends on what you use it for...my video iPod has completely replaced my cd/dvd player in my room for use with my stereo and TV. I don't think of it as a large iPod, but rather a very small, very portable version of my dvd and cd collections.

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I use my iPod 5G for everything but music:eek: As stupid as it sounds, I have 95% of the drive filled with tv shows and movies, and the rest is for my contacts, notes, calendar, clock, even games sometimes.lol:D

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I use the video option a lot actually. And I just got it becaue it had a 60 gb capacity. I use the video out from the dock a lot to watch stuff I own. It is also really cool to be able to download episodes of tv shows I miss and just hook it up to my tv

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I have a 60gb iPod with video, and I never use it for videos. You don't have to. It's just an extra feature... there if you want it, easy to ignore if you don't. Just like the calendar, or the notes, or the games, or photos... none of which I use. But nice to know I could if I wanted to.

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I use the video option quite frequently. It's great on airplanes and long car rides.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends...I'm planning to buy a video iPod too, along with an EyeTV 250. The EyeTV'll let me record TV and transfer it directly to the iPod. See, my Dish Network DVR has no way of getting recordings off of it, so I'm just going to hook it into the EyeTV.

That'll give me all the content I want. Plus I'll rip my DVD collection, and buy stuff off iTunes, and rip funny videos off of YouTube.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i use mine for video all the time. Im just about to go on a school camp, and im making sure its loaded to the edges with videos.

The battery life sucks, so i made an external battery pack for it!

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Very rarely. But it is useful for catching up on videos / TV programs on flights if I run out of everything else to do :D

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i don't really, I think there is a market for it. But untill they improve the battery life its kinda pointless if you ask me. I think its nice to store videos on and hook up to a tv if traveling though. Thats what i use if for.

11. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I agree. I use mine almost exclusively as a music player, but the few times i did watch videos recently it sucked the battery so fast that I too found it kinda pointless. I had to recharge it quickly just so I could use it when I went bike riding later that afternoon. Imo, they should have sorted a longer battery life before they released a video iPod. With a longer battery life it would be a nice feature to have for plane trips and so forth, but with the battery life as it is now I can't help but see it as more of a novelty feature then a truly functional one.

12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I suppose it is a bit with the poor battery life. However it does usuall entertain me on short trips :D

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

In case you haven't noticed there are like zillions of conformal battery packs for the iPod ;) That's what I use when flying: I can step off the plane with a fully charged iPod too.

14. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I use mine mostly for music and as a external HDD, only watch a few video podcasts, but thats maybe one or 2 a week! I would love a more functional ipod or even a ipad, or iphone, the ipod is a wonderfull mp3 player, but I would like a bit more:cool:

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Ask someone who you know if you can borrow it to watch a movie on. My friend had the 60 gig iPod w/ video, and it was good for wasting a free during school, but not really much else. With music, you can listen to it while typing replies to posts on the web and still enjoy the music. You can't do that with video...

I don't think you need it, but then again I'm also one of those people who's still using a 10 gig 3rd gen iPod and lovin it.

16. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I use the video option fairly regularly - about once or twice a week I have to commute out to a client site by train, which takes about an hour, so that time is perfect for watching some TV shows that I've missed.

I also use it store all my photos, so for me it was a very good upgrade from a 20GB 2G iPod.

17. savar macrumors 68000

savar

The video is very nice for traveling by bus, metro, plane, etc.

18. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I bought the video ipod because I needed a new ipod and never thought I would use the video part but since I got it, I ended up using the video part and it is a nice feature but drains the battery really quick.

19. allied123 macrumors newbie

i use the video feature often during long drives. i usually get about 2.5 hours of battery life which i dont think is that bad.

20. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

Basically, video is a function thats thrown out there "if you want to use it". For alternative firmwares that include video on almost all iPods, try RockBox or iPod Linux. I would find it extremely useful for maxing the HD out with episodes of The Colbert Report :)

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah, many people don't even know about how you can use it on your TV, but once you discover that its like you died andwent to heaven.

22. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Hopefully with someone else driving :eek: ;)

23. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, I would use one but I wont by a video ipod until the screen gets bigger. Its still to small for TV and I want at least 640x480 resolution - 720x576 (pal) would be even better.

I also thing we need to get wireless headphones. I hate the wires.

24. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

I burnt 400 dollars buying a 60GB iPod video and I returned it... the video feature isn't that great.

Converting your own videos is a huge hassle, even with the freeware apps out. It takes a loooong time and the quality isn't so top-notch anyway.

The battery life sucks on it, too, you can only watch one movie (assuming it's about 2 hours) without it dying a few minutes later. I'd rather watch it on my iBook in full screen.

Taking care of it as a whole is a pain in the neck too. You HAVE TO buy a case for it. The back metal casing will inevitably get scratched up, even in a case, the screen will get scratched and then you have to buy a scratch repair kit- whats the point?

Photos on your iPod - bad idea. It takes a lifetime for them to render on the tiny iPod screen and they come out terrible on a television screen anyway.

The iPod was made for music. Not videos. Not photos. I personally think thats what it should stay as.

This is why I have an iPod shuffle :)

Just my 2¢.

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Sure you've used an iPod?