video killed the apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    come on, apple

make all tibooks equipped with 64 MB video cards

make all G4s equipped with 128 MB video cards

and make one ibook with a 32 MB video card and the other two equipped with the 64 MB video cards

if we can't beat the PC world on price, speed, and DDR ram, then let's offer the best video cards in the is the multimedia computer, right?
  2. macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I hear that! 64MB, even on a Laptop seems kinda old........

But Im sure there will be someone who disagrees.......
  3. macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    the video card is actually more important to me right now than the processor when deciding to purchase a new laptop. my 16mb card is just not doing it for me. (tibook 667 rev b)
  4. macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
    to get decent graphics on a computer how much videocard do you need? like 16, 32.. etc???
    I am getting an ibook soon and want to be assured that my beloved driver and needforspeed will play decently ;)
  5. macrumors demi-god

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: video killed the apple

I'd take a faster proc than a bigger vid card anyday... of course I don't work in 3D or game om my Mac so that's probably why. ;)

6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    the rule with laptops (and imacs) is to go for the best card available since it's non-upgradable. if you plan on using the ibook for lots of gaming, go for the 32 meg card
  7. macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: video killed the apple

thats great, now my favorite mac will cost 6 thousand dollars.

8. thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Re: video killed the apple

see where the PC laptops are
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: video killed the apple

link doesnt seem to work...

sends me to a generic "URL Crawler" thing
  10. thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Re: video killed the apple

oops, sorry mistake ;)

laptop will have to go to the newsstand... the publication has so many reviews of PC laptops (and some mac laptops) and those PCs are packed with features...especially great video cards and overall cheap system prices

but downside is,

1) sometimes cheaply built machines (like my compaq)
    2) windows
    3) sometimes ugly industrial design

an ibook for $1299 with an ATI 64 MB video card would be right in line with what some PC laptops offer...but with the ibook, we get os x and a much sturdier laptop

that said, laptop magazine and mobile computing magazine usually give apple laptops four or four and a half stars in a five star rating and that is great