Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I using my MBA into adapter out to HDMI and into Onkyo TX SR806 AV receiver then into my Sammy TV. I am currently using the setup for PS3 into the receiver then into the TV w/o issue. I can also run the MBA directly into the TV w/o issues as well. It seems that the auto-connect function on the MBA will not detect the TV if it has to go through the receiver and out into the TV. Any ideas on what I can do it get this to work. I have a quality sound system and it would defeat the suppose if I can only run through the TV.

Thanks,

-Chris

goldenelite11

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
USA
Hey - me too!

Chris-

Unfortunately I cannot help you, but as luck would have it I'm having the same problem, and google directed me to your post so I figured I'd add my two cents. I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice.

I've got a TX-SR806 receiver going into a 58" samsung LCD. My MBP detects the receiver, but goes to a permanent blue screen (the blue screen that pops up for just a second when, say, I connect my laptop to an external PC monitor) when I switch to that video input on the receiver itself. I'm using a DVI out which is then converted into HDMI and into the receiver (yes, inefficient, I know).

Thanks! :D

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Chris-

Unfortunately I cannot help you, but as luck would have it I'm having the same problem, and google directed me to your post so I figured I'd add my two cents. I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice.

I've got a TX-SR806 receiver going into a 58" samsung LCD. My MBP detects the receiver, but goes to a permanent blue screen (the blue screen that pops up for just a second when, say, I connect my laptop to an external PC monitor) when I switch to that video input on the receiver itself. I'm using a DVI out which is then converted into HDMI and into the receiver (yes, inefficient, I know).

Thanks! :D
Mine it is an actual toggle for HDMI out from the newer MBA. Again if I plug the HDMI directly into the TV, MBA auto detects the TV and then you can setup the device to the TV. Just to note, there is a "auto-detect button" on same window but I don't need to use it when plug straight into the TV.

Now if I go into the SR806 (receiver) to then to the TV it never detects it and it never even enables the auto-detect button. So am not sure if this an issue with OS or with Onkyo compatible issue. I have used HDMI from other laptop through the receiver and into the TV and didn't have issues.

Has anyone been able to use this feature going through a receiver and out the TV.

Thanks,

-Chris

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Contact Onkyo for support, because your Mac works with the TV directly as you said.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe try setting the Onkyo to passthrough instead of upscalling?

I have a 606, but haven't had any problems.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
buy a media player for 150 euro and you can play all your video files in full HD and AC3 and other flavours on your Sammy, just a hint.

Yes I could do that but kind of defends the purpose of having a MBA that can do this functionality already.

Burnincoco

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
Try this.
Have everything on. plug the mini Displayport adapter to your MBA then the HDMI cable to the adapter. Then connect the Onkyo to the TV with your other HDMI. Now connect the HDMI coming from the MBA to the Onkyo.
If it didn't work, disconnect Displayport adapter from MBA and reconnect.
Still not working? Disconnect the cable coming from the Onkyo to the TV and reconnect. then the one coming from the TV to the Onkyo.

I know this might not make a lot of sense BUT it has worked for me when connecting my MBA to some TVs, sans the Onkyo.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

goldenelite11

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
USA
No luck from my end :(
As I was only hoping to do this to watch internet videos/movies, having the sound system isn't a huge deal so I'll just stick to the built-in speakers. I suppose i aught to make the investment into the blue-ray player worthwhile anyway ha.

If you're willing to sacrifice having higher definition sound, Chris, but still want to use the sound system, one option that you could look into is simply connecting straight to the TV with your HDMI and then using a 3.5 mm cord to output the sound to your receiver. It won't be true surround or anything, but it'll let ya use the additional power of the system.

Anyway, thanks for the help all. I appreciate it!

tmccowan

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
TX-SR806 solution

I recently bought a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable from Amazon for $10 and ran into the blue screen issue. I have a TX-SR806 connected to my Samsung LCD TV. I have my DVR and playstation 3 connected to my receiver and they both work perfectly fine.

I connected my MBA to the Game/TV (Port 4) on the back of my receiver and tried switching to that input. After 15 minutes of trouble shooting I was able to get the video working. I found my tuner settings needed to be modified.

If you run the tuner setup and
select option 1 (Input Assign)
select option 1 (HDMI Input)

My Game/TV input didn't have the HDMI port number assigned to it.

I selected HDMI 4 and hit the return button until I was out of the receiver settings. Immediately my MBA picture appeared on my TV. I sure hope this helps, because it was rather frustrating for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.