Video Mirroring on iBook - POSSIBLE!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SoonToGetAMac, Feb 9, 2003.

1. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

I have no idea how I enabled this, but I have video mirroring on my iBook right now! I just plugged in my external monitor since I am running iMovie 3 and I wanted to have it on a 17" screen, but instead I have an entirely differnt wallpaper and monitor...does anyone know about this? (e.g., how i enabled this?) I have done the monitor mirroring before, but this has never happened to me!

2. jkojima macrumors regular

A couple of months ago there was quite a bit of discussion on this subject. Apple never intended the iBook to allow for monitor spanning, only mirroring, but the Radeon video chip natively supports both modes. A few enterprising individuals managed to figure out how to hack the firmware to allow dual independent displays. I myself followed the instructions on a website (can't remember which one now) and it worked without a hitch on a previous generation iBook 700 with the 16MB Radeon card.

As far as I know, the only way to enable monitor spanning is via the firmware. Perhaps the latest generation of iBooks, with the 32MB Radeon 7500, support monitor spanning natively (i.e. Apple decided not to continue crippling its own systems.)

Now that you know the multiple-display functionality works on your machine, you can easily switch from spanning (independent displays) to mirroring (same image on both screens) via the Displays system preference pane.

3. SoonToGetAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think I have a previous generation iBook (700MHz w/ Combo drive). MicroCenter said they were on clearance (it cost $899, but the original prive was $1199 according to the box).

4. SoonToGetAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I still have the monitor spanning, but where is the option for Spanning or Mirroring, out of curiousity...I didn't see it in the displays control panel.

5. wolfywolfbits macrumors member

Can you set the resolution for each display independently? Eg. they can different resolutions.

Or do both displays have to have 1024x768

6. SoonToGetAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, i can choose resolutions independantly... but right now my monitor is just being mirrored :(.

7. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I haven't looked on this forum about this topic...so if someone else has posted information, sorry for the repeat.

But the ibook is capable of an extended display, and apple locked out this feature. *WARNING: Make sure you read the disclaimer on what machines to do this on, and if you screw up your machine, don't get pissed at me.*

I use a extended display on mine...and have had no problems for about 2 months now.

Here is the info:
    Extended display on an ibook

Peace,
    Scott

p.s. I'm sure apple had a reason to lock this out....maybe system problems, or potential issues like that. Or maybe just to set the powerbook even farther away from it's little brother

8. wolfywolfbits macrumors member

resolution

Cool :D :D :D

What resolution can you drive the second display up to??
    What I really want to do is use an external CRT monitor at higher resolution than 1024x768 (like 1280x1024). If it can do that and support dual head, then that's fantastic!

EDIT: Actually I'm asking on behalf of someone here at my work. He will go out and buy one today if the iBook will support an external display at a nice high res. Another switcher!!

EDIT2: Big sloppy kiss for whoever can answer my question :D

9. wolfywolfbits macrumors member

My comment above killed the thread! Oh well i won't take it personally. *sob* *sob*

10. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

haahah, nah....didn't kill the thread, maybe *scared* a few people. JK

Well I'm running a 19 incch CRT monitor at 1024x768....and I dont' know if it can support a higher res...since the monitor doesn't go any farther than that. it is worth looking into though. I'll see if I can't scramble up something bigger to test!! I'm also curious about checking it on one of my studio displays, that would be cool :D (but I don't know if that would be supported...doubt it....anyone know??)

out,
    scott

11. SoonToGetAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

nah, it only goes up to 1024:( ...I was using the same monitor on my old windows machine and it could go up to 1600x1200 (not that i would use that res.)

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just to be a stickler ...

Shouldn't the title be "Video Spanning on iBook - POSSIBLE!!!". All iBooks have Video Mirroring standard.

;)

13. mariner77 macrumors newbie

14. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

ha, didn't just post basically the same link as you did???hahahah read threads before posting.

out,
    Scott

15. jkojima macrumors regular

I only tested the iBook with a 17" CRT that could go no higher than 1280x1024, but I had no problems at that res. A friend has a 19" that can go up to 1600x1200 and it works no problem as his second display. (That, by the way, confirms that both myself and another person I know with an iBook have successfully implemented the modificaion with no problems.)

As for why Apple limited the iBook: marketing. The iBook, targeted at consumers and students with limited knowledge and/or technical requirements, so by only allowing mirroring you a) simplify the operation of the machine and b) create the perception that if you want to run dual independent displays (generally a desire of power users and professionals) you should choose the PowerBook.

Somebody commented that they'd want to hook the iBook to a studio display - if it's a newer display with the ADC connector, you might as well not bother. You'd need no less than two adaptors to first convert the VGA output to DVI, then from DVI to ADC. That doesn't even count the dongle required to go from the iBook's mini VGA port to a regularly-sized VGA port. So that's a lot of money, and probably lots of signal degredation. The picture would therefore be crappy.

16. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

yeah, I know about all the adapters and connectors, as I'm currently running two computers with dual studio displays:D , I'm just gonna' use my dviator and my dvi dongle for that

17. jkojima macrumors regular

18. SoonToGetAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

19. rideahyperLite macrumors member

this is kinda off the topic but i was wondering if it is possible to close the lid of a powerbook or an ibook without putting it to sleep. and if not, then is it possible to close the lid and stay connected to the internet? i am about to get one an im curious

20. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

If you checked the link I posted it gave you complete instructions on which chips you can use, and how to find out which chip you have. The easiest way to find out is to check your apple system profiler, which is usually located in you utilities folder which is in your accessories folder. from there look under the tab devices and volumes. under the PCI info check it against the info on the directions.

Hope that helps :D

21. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

As far as keeping an internet connection....yes.

Closing the lid without putting it to sleep.....I haven't found any information on how to do this.

22. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

There's tons of info on this subject. The consensus is that it's not a good idea to do this. The iBook can get pretty hot and potentially damage the screen.

But if you must do this, you could try running OS X 10.0.3 or OS 9.1. I believe that both of these systems will allow you to close the lid without the system going to sleep.