Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mailhojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2001
I am so ticked off. I am a teacher and have been waiting for Apple to update to 10.1 thinking that they just might let us powerbook people be able to hook up to a projector for lessons and demonstration and be able to see it on the projector AND my laptop. In a classroom this is vital. I can't just leave the projector on all day. And having to shut down and disconnect is stupid. When are they going to get around to this? Anyone else bothered by this? And I know they improved a lot of things in 10.1, but I need this to teach. A big thumbs down to apple for this. And they said this is the version for the masses. Maybe it is, but it's not for those of us in the classroom or office trying to present something.

[Edited by mailhojo on 10-03-2001 at 11:22 AM]

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
Try this

maybe try hitting "Mirroring On" or whatever the exact term used is.

I know it can do it, cuz i do it all the time with my PowerBook. In one of the System Prefs panels (perhaps displays, I believe) there should be a new tab when plugged into an external monitor or video device that says something about position I think. Underneath there, there's a box to check that says "Mirror Displays". Just check it, and you're good to go.

This was also possible with 10.0.4, because I did it with that too. I have my PowerBook set up to my home theater system to act as my "jukebox" when I have people over, and use the iTunes visualizations on the tv.

if you still can't get it to work, email me. I'll go take a look at my setup and take screenshots if you want.

laters

enoch

mailhojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2001
doesn't work

I know where it says video mirroring on the monitor page of preferences, but you can't highlight it. It has not been activated in 10.1 or 10.0.4. If you know of a work around, please pass it on...

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
Mirroring

Not true, mirroring DOES work under both 10.0.4 and 10.1. I know because I have a PowerBook and a Sony 17" monitor. It works great BUT (did I say BUT!) it slllows down the graphics (especially in Millions Color mode). My screen saver (Forest) craaawls. So, I don't use my second monitor often now. But it DOES work. Just make sure it is ON and CONNECTED when you first boot up. Then go to Monitors and you can "arrange" and "mirror" the monitors at will.

Good luck...

mailhojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2001
then something is wrong with my 10.1

I can arrange all I want. BUT the video mirroring is deactivated. I'm not kidding. Clicking on the button does nothing. It is shaded, so I can't even click on it. Is there something on the system level I need to do? Please stop saying yours works. Give me suggestions to fix mine!!! Please, I'm desperate. I really need it to work.

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
Mine works.

Mine works. :)

Orher than deleting your Monitor prefs and restarting your Mac WITH YOUR MONITOR ATTACHED, I haven't a clue what is buggin' your system.

Good luck, though ....

MMManiac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2001
make sure of the resolution

The option for video mirroring was "greyed-out"on my TiBook (OSX 10.1) until I made the resolution the same on each display. Mirroring works fine now - as long as I remember to check the resolution.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Video Mirroring

I noted a significant improvement in 10.1 moving between a two monitor environment to stand-alone via sleep. It works almost all the time exactly as you would expect it to. The DT Monitor is 1280x1024. Occaisionally the DT monitor will reset itself to 800x600. Occaisionally the pb (BK) display will not wake and requires a reboot. Other than those problems it seems to be 95%+ reliable. Using VM causes the DT Monitor to reset, it is possible that your projector is not as flexible as a monitor and you need to do some manual setting of values before VM will work.

I assume that you can get both monitors up and only video mirroring does not work. You don't mention what model pb you are using. I assume that VM works under OS 9.X on your machine. The suggestion to set both monitors to the same resolution AND synch rate prior to attempting video mirroring sounds like the best bet although that is not required on my machine.

Does your projector support the standard 1024x768?

If all of that is true, sounds like time to call Apple Technical support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.