Video Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Using Final Cut Express I would like to have an external video monitor to preview my movies on. I don't have one of the little TVs yet but I do have a choice of monitors I can use. I can either use a small CRT that I can set to a very low resolution 600 x 480 or 800 x 600, I can also use a small LCD monitor but I can only set that to 1024 x 768. My question is which would be better to use, the CRT or the LCD? I was thinking the CRT because the lower resolution would be closer to that of the actual film but wanted your opinions as well.

--Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's really not going to help you out much because of the differences between how images are displayed on a computer monitor vs. how images are displayed on a TV. Even a cheap $80 TV would be better than using a computer monitor to preview your work on.

Lethal

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

LethalWolfe is right, get a small TV and hook it up to your Mac. Computer monitors can't show interlaced images as TV does, they also have some "special" TV-only features

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Not to mention that the CRT will show the true colors and brightness of your video, as opposed to the washed out image on your main LCD screen. Believe me, it looks so much cooler on the CRT. :D

irmongoose

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

No DOUBT, preview your video on a television. It's the most accurate way to view your footage and you'll have accurate T.V. safe zones because your using a T.V. to preview your footage!!

6. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes, this is just temporary till I get this

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'm already drooling.

irmongoose