Video of "PC Free" Set Up of iOS with iCloud

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

This video shows the first setup of iOS 5 simply using your Apple ID, demonstrating one of the big new features of iOS 5 termed "PC Free".
    The video shows a user first setting up their iPhone by entering their Apple ID and password. iOS 5 then asks the user to set up iCloud and Find My iPhone, after which the iPhone is restored from backup with Apps being redownloaded in the background.

Article Link: Video of "PC Less" Set Up of iOS 5 with iCloud

2. macrumors 6502

anybody notice how the iPod app has been split up to have separate apps for music/videos/etc... (a la iPod Touch style).

3. macrumors regular

robertcoogan

Music

Ok, just for the record, the accompanying music is great.

(imho)

:D

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

Looks good to me. Glad to see apple going this route

5. macrumors newbie

PC Free

Wonderful. I can't wait to try it out. Who's the piano player?

6. macrumors 6502

calsci

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I really hope they just keep it as a unified app like it is now. It works great. I wish they could bring the unified approach to the touch instead

7. macrumors member

This is a great improvement. Not exactly sure why a "PC Free" type setup wasn't the case to begin with (mainly speaking about the iPad here), but better late than never.

8. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Cool video. It does, however, miss out the steps where you select your country and so forth (ie. on a device that hasn't been restored from a backup).

9. macrumors newbie

Video quality

The quality of the video is just horrible.

10. macrumors 68000

11. macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Generally speaking, you can assume that if Apple doesn't do something obvious right away it's because they felt they couldn't do a good job of it and thus held back until they felt they were ready. It can be frustrating. Other companies push functionality out even when it isn't ready just to fill out check lists, but Apple is willing to lose the check list war if they can win the ease of use war in the long run.

12. macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

Given the trends in PC sales, being PC free will be especially appreciated by Windows users.

Not to mention Lion will be $30 and Windows is well over $100.

13. macrumors 6502

I just feel that this is going to use A LOT of data. Not only am I capped on the mobile side but I am capped at home. I am not allowed no more than 30GB at home. I really love this idea, but am worried about the risks.

14. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Notice the "PC Free" double-meaning? ;)

Post-PC era, folks.

15. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone noticed how the iPhone is a Verizon iPhone? You can see the carrier name and different antenna

16. macrumors member

Alrighty Finally.!!! This is going to be one good update.

17. macrumors newbie

ummm...pretty sure the phone is plugged in...what is up with that?

18. macrumors 6502a

franswa za

charging, i hope
    :)

19. macrumors 6502a

domness

Yeh apparently some of the syncing only works when charging.

20. macrumors 6502a

silentnite

All I can say is Apple is on the right track for the future. This is where it's at. easy setup no computer needed means faster upgrading and uploading and can be done from the office or your car while on the go.

21. macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Most all home internet is capped now but it's usually between 200 and 300 gigs. Why in the world is yours 30?

22. eye
    macrumors 6502a

eye

23. macrumors newbie

multiple iPhones with the same iTunes login?

I work in a retail store an often see many customers share iTunes logins to share paid apps. At first this seemed like it would make my job a lot easier but I suppose people sharing iTunes accounts would end up identical in every other way huh? I suppose that is against the user agreement anyway though is it not?

24. macrumors regular

Now all they need is an accessible file system. And they could almost pass for it.

I know i am going to get downvoted for this but at the moment Android is more passable for a PC replacement then iOS. But the gap is closing.

25. macrumors 65816

Well now iOS can run independent from a computer so they are now they are a legit computer themselves. Pretty cool.