Video of the introdution of the 'original' Macintosh released

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by takao, Jan 24, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

perhaps been posted already by somebody else :
    http://www.industrial-technology-and-witchcraft.de/
    just released the digitalized version of the original Betamax tape mentioned here

because the mainpage is completly down thanks to heise.de (and other sides) macnews.de provided a mirror:

http://www.macnews.de/media/downloads/1984macintro_2.mov

i hope it works

worth a watch ...(including steve jobs in a different outfit)

edit: additional mirrors
    http://www.ppcnux.de/pub/MacOSX/1984-macintro/
    http://homepage.mac.com/dirkkuepper/1984macintro.mov
    ftp://ftp.ppcnux.de/pub/MacOSX/1984-macintro

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

4. brap macrumors 68000

Wow...

hearing the crowd go wild after they've seen... monochrome Chess! Classic - though it's quite disconcerting how Jobs seems to really be going for the 'proud father' image.

5. cfd macrumors member

Happy Birthday

Anyone notice that today 01/24/05 is the 21st birthday of that introduction?

6. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

21 years later... Look at us now. When you think of it, people go nuts in the same way during the Keynotes. Nothing really has changed. The Reality Distortion Field is bigger, thats all.

7. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

that was the reason for the release ;)

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

He does seem to be rather smug.

The RDF is definitely alive and kicking but I think the Keynotes are a lot more toned down - the crowd were really going for it in that video!

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

People knock the black mock turtleneck, but I think it's lot better than that dorky bow tie attire he was sporting in the video. Still, cool to see - and I'd forgotten about Chess and speech being a part of the original Mac.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That, or Tucker Carlson. :eek:

11. Aaon macrumors 6502

Actually, since you mention it, Noah Wyle played Steve Jobs in the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley." Pretty entertaining film about the brith of Apple and Microsoft.

Aaron

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The best part of the video was the crowd going wild just watching "MACINTOSH" scroll across the screen. What INCREDIBLE technology! ;)

I suppose in 20 years, today's SteveNotes will be equally amusing.

13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Aye...one wonders what would have happened if Macs had gotten more development in games. I remember my first "computer" gaming experience was on an old Mac my mom had brought home from work (I must have been 5 or 6 at the time).

Heck, I still remember playing the "rearrange the Apple" game...lol I never did get it to work as a kid, though I'm sure I could now.

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm going to have your genitals confiscated for that.... and with a blunt instrument if possible.... Ugh.... Where'd I put that "pukey" emoticon?

*Stalks off to eye wash station*

15. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

wow, that was a great video!

I look forward to the full video being online so I can mirror it for everyone :)

/asif

16. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I love that song... its still played today in a ton of movies.

How about the crowd at the end... they're all jumping up and down, especially in the front row. But if you really think about it, thats a major step for their technology back then. It not like today when we go wild when processors go from 1.42 to 2.0. You can still do the same things on a G5 as a G4.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Wow! The Age of the Macintosh brought such promise. 21 years later, 2% marketshare.

18. SteveC macrumors 6502

Can't download

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /media/downloads/1984macintro_2.mov on this server.

Edit: Nevermind. One of the other mirrors worked. :)

19. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Grrr. Woof! Woof! Gimmie a pound, dawg! Or should I say, DOG!

The Mac video was great though! The theme from "Chariots of Fire" really went well with the presentation, and you can still have your Mac talk using the same voice 21 years later. Steve looks so *young* (and thin), definitely a Noah Wyle clone (though I hope Noah doen't look like Steve now in 21 years). Funny how accurate Noah's look in "Pirates of Silicon Valley" really was...

Thanks for this link - my Mac Mini at work is being delivered today, so the timing was perfect.

20. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

21. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

the crowd goes absolutely histerical in the end. amazing.

i gotta say though, that little box was an impressive piece of technology for 21 years ago. macpaint and macwrite look pretty current, don't they?

22. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Yes! I use MS Word everyday and for all its fancy features, theres not much I do that I couldn't have done with MacWrite 20 years ago. I believe that most of the features are superfluous to 98% of people who use Word. In fact, MacWrite was better as it didn't try and produce an automatic numbered list when all I want to do was write 1 2 3 |:D

I'd love to take an iBook in a timemachine back to that audience and show them iLife and PhotoShop Elements!!

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Dude, the text >> speech technology was future-minded as well. I mean, you may have found that stuff in pocket translators, but that wouldn't happen until 90's. This video really makes me wonder why Apple does not have as commanding a market share as it COULD have had.