Video out on a 3g

Discussion in 'iPod' started by havenhamilton, Nov 22, 2005.

1. havenhamilton macrumors 6502

Pretty much what i want to know is can i play video off my 3g ipod onto a tv? I dont want to play any video on my ipod (viewing wise) i just want the option of video out like they have on the 5g. thanks

2. deanwaterman macrumors regular

No

There is no capability for video on the 3G iPod. Only the 5G has that capability to the best of my knowledge. MAYBE you can tweak a 4G iPod to do it, but I don't think so.

3. havenhamilton thread starter macrumors 6502

the reason i want it on my 3g is because i love the touch wheel and think overall its much nicer aesthetically so doing it to a 4g wouldnt help. thanks though

4. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Neither the 3G or the 4G ipods are capable of playing video in any way, not even theu a video out that they dont have.
    get a 5G ipod (The new Ipod VIDEO)
    =P

5. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

That is incorrect. http://ipodlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

You can't do video out but you can play videos on the iPod.

6. Scruge macrumors member

i didnt see any pics or videos of the photo playing videos

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

It's capable of playing video. I installed it for a while just to see how it worked.

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

9. havenhamilton thread starter macrumors 6502

so ive seen the linux ipod playing video but is it possible to have that as video out insted of playing it on the screen?

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Question...

If the 4G iPods can display slideshows on a TV, what stops them from displaying video?

I would guess an entirely new chipset...but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

the 4g ipod (the version with photo ability), may be able to do it because it has the capability to output a video channel, but the 3g version just doesn't have any circuitry designed to output video. that headphone jack in the 3G has 3 pins (L+, R+, and LR-) for audio, not four pins (L+, R+, Video+, and LRV-) like the photo and video 'pods, so it can only carry 2 tracks of audio, no video.

12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

they can display video on screen using ipod linux (I assume not as well or as high bitrate as 5G), and they have the capability of sending a TV signal out through it's headphone jack to a TV, so I can't see why it wouldn't be able to simply mirror it's screen to TV out, so I can't see why the iPod Linux people couldn't do their thing and make it possible.

ipods from 1G to 4G (photo included) used the same processor, the photo added a tv out daughterboard. the 5G ipod needed a new chipset to let it display good resolution h264 at a good framerate and bitrate, and display something different on each screen

13. havenhamilton thread starter macrumors 6502