Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2002
does anyone forsees the possibility of a s-video output from the graphic card in next generation g4's or the next g5? (as some ATI cards have now)
I think its a necessary device, not only for people who work with FCP or any other video editor, but too, for anyone who would like to see a DVD on TV, and not having the burden to had a new card to be able to do it.

Just a thought.

keithcobbett

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Hillsborough, NH
Another thing to consider is audio input/output. A lot of people that I talk too would love to have this feature, but it isn't currently available. It was available on the G3 Beige towers, but not since.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
About the video i/o: I think is not such bad idea but... there are usb devices that can do that, some are cheap, some otheres not that cheap. For $700 you can get a Firewire interface with analog audio i/o, S-VHS i/o, composite video i/o, plus a firewire connector.

If Apple uses a S-VHS video out put it will create some disconfort in the market. Beside, not everybody uses video editing software, and if you do you may get a better interface, more popular than S-VHS. Or you can burn the movie in a DVD, that is what is for. Apple is pointing that direction.

About audio i/o: Apple needs the audio imput back again. The audio imput was avalible until the G4 450 came out. I have a G4 400 and I'm very glad it has it.

There are some other usb interfaces for audio only. May be Apple was realising that not meny people was using their microphones as well in the early days the Macs came with and entire OS manual but it doesn't any more.

I think the audio imput is very nesesary, even with not microphone. May be there was some kind of deal between othe manofatures.

Digidesing came out with a very nice interface that cost $700 again, is USB compatible and comes with XLR i/o, spdf i/o and rca type i/o. That is very good, is the sucessor of the Audio Media 3 card.

stoid

macrumors 601
Audio in port in a must. When I got my Quicksilver G4, I didn't realize right away that it lacked that port. When I was going to hook my third party hardware up I was sooooo incredibly pissed off because there was no port. And, a return of analog out would be really nice too. I miss the old white G3 all-in-ones that had the real nice analog video mirroring. But since I don't have that now, is there anyway to mirror the monitor to a VCR/TV with a Quicksilver G4??

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You've been able to get a video card from ATi w/S-Video out for the past couple of years. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original post...?

Pet peeve here: It's S-video, not S-VHS. S-VHS is a higher quality VHS format. :)

Lethal

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
As far as Audio and Video In & Out are concerned, I don't think you can go past the Formac Studio unit - although a bit pricey, it can handle audio/video in/out in both analogue and digital formats (and you get a TV tuner thrown in to boot).

Apple were wise to omit Audio and Video in/outs for their top-of-the-range systems, as formats can change frequently. The modular systems of Firewire, USB, PCI and AGP slots futureproof them as new technology comes out.

But as we've started a wish-list, perhaps a one-piece Firewire Dolby Digital amplifier/converter with s-video out would be in order for us Cinema buffs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.