Video over airport?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by marknicholls, Jan 6, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hey

I have airtunes set up, and access all my music through my DVD 5.1 set, via a PDA using sailing clicker.

Is it not possible or Theoretically possible to get a scart adaprer to run Video through airtunes onto your TV?

It would be amazing to rip DVD's to a mac, and access them in the same way i easily access my music via my PDA

Even if an adapter for the airport is not possible, an adapter for the TV should be possible over WIFI?

for example, a scart adapter with a wifi reciever, so video and audio can be sent direct to the TV?

11mpbs may be enough, but surley 54mps would be?

Any thought on this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Currently AirPort does not support this, but it would be possible. It would probably put quite a strain on the host machine if done in the same way as AirTunes is though. At the moment AirTunes transcodes all of the music to Apple Lossless then encryts the stream. To do this with video as well would require much heavier lifting from the host machine. In addition AirPort Express buffers the incoming audio to cope with lost packets. Much greater buffering would be required for video.

3. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been looking and there are a few bluetooth scart adapters to run jpegs via the TV.....i cant believe know one has released a WIFI one!

4. garybUK Guest

garybUK

54mbps will certinately work but 11mbps will struggle depending on the compression.

I have DVD rips on my server and my sister can play them fine on her PC laptop with a Buffalo 54g card, she has this plugged into her TV via scart.

The only media adaptor i have come across that will play video is the awful Hauppage thing I have one under my bed because its rubbish and needs a PC host.

You can purchase some DVD Players like the Kiss that have ethernet connections and will play remote media files you could plug this into the ethernet port of the Airport Express. You can get them on www.scan.co.uk

5. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, but i was going to buy a few 500gb external HDD's and rip all my DVD's onto them....a small wifi scart would have been great

6. petej macrumors regular

Take a look at the eyehome from elgato
    http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyehome
    I can't vouch for it but I am considering it. It will work with an airport express - but my understanding when I last looked was that you needed an Airport base station. I do not think it would work with my configuration of a netgear wireless router and an Airport express. It would work with any other wireless bridge however. There were also issues regarding the playback of ITMS protected files.
    I am waiting until H.264 / MPEG4 video encoding is released in Tiger before building up my video archive and I want to ensure that any player is compatible. I've had my wallet burnt too many times before by jumping in too early.

7. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

This looks great.

I have been looking into it and it will work via airport. I have a modem plugged into my aiport, so how would i plug the eyehome? can i get a splitter to plug the modem and eyehome into airport? how would this work?

8. petej macrumors regular

It won't work with the hardware you currently have. You cannot split the modem and ethernet ports on the Airport express. The UK apple store supplies the AirHome with a wireless bridge so you would not need to plug it in to an Airport express. The setup is not as simple as Apple make things but the instructions look clear. Since my Airport Express is not used as my base station ( it is just one client on my network ) I would check that you can extract the information required on the first page of the setup guide. The guide was written assuming that you have an Airport basestation and not that you use the Airport Express as the base station. ( I haven't got my AE to hand so I can't test this for you now).

If you want to keep your network all Apple then I think that you will need to buy and Airport Base station and plug your modem into that. I am also not sure that an Airport express will run AirTunes at the same time as the ethernet port is active so you may need to buy another Airport Express. Others may be able to clarify this.

The current FAQ's still say the ITMS purchases cannot be played on the EyeHome.

9. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it may be best to wait....i have only just got my airport set up and working very well.....i dont wanna have to change things round again.

Im sure someone will simply make a wifi scart for a TV......that would be an easy solution