Video People! Which video camera should I get?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ShaolinMiddleFinger, Feb 14, 2003.

1. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I was thinking between the Sony VX2000, Sony PD150, Canon GL1, Canon XL1, or the new Panasonic AGDVX100.

Tell me what you think.... please....all the help is greatly appreciated:) :p :)

2. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

XL-1. It's a really good camera. My friend has one, getting a second, and it's great. We've made a few movies with it, and they're all super-clear quality. It's feels good on your shoulder, and the controls are nice, overall. Some of the buttons could be placed better, but overall a nice camera.

3. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

I can't say enough about my Canon GL-2. It's such an amazing camera. I've found the quality to be very close to the Canon XL-1s at a much lower price. Of course, the GL-2 doesn't have interchangeable EOS lenses, but do you REALLY need that? If you do, there are fisheye, telephoto, macro, and 16:9 lenses for the GL-2 as well (centuryoptics.com). I guess it depends on what you will use the camera for.

I prefer the form factor of the GL-2 over the XL-1s as well. Ever tried to shoot for an extended period of time with the XL-1? My shoulder got sore after using it. Of course, that may be just me.

My advice would be to try all the models you are interested in before you commit. The forums at DV.com are a great place to learn about all the different models. And decide beforehand exactly what you plan on doing with the cam. No use dropping that kind of money on a camera if you aren't going to use it to its full potential.

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I thought about the whole EOS lenses thing.... Since I do have a bunch of lenses for my Canon already, that would be a great extra for the XL1. Even though the adapter does cost an additional $450

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

isn't there supposed to be an update to the xl line sometime soon? i mean, it's due after all...

might want to check into that and possibly wait.

personally, i'd go for the new panasonic based on what i know.

though you can't change lenses and apparently the lens that comes with it isn't as good as the ones with the canon. though i think it's better in a lot of other ways...

keep us posted on which route you go.

6. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

yeah, I wanted to check out the new Panasonic at 24frames but the stupid reseller where I'm at doesn't have it. I'd like to really see this "Film" look from it....

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

OK, I have a strong opinion on this....but it depends on what you want/need it for....

I just recently got a VX2000. I would have gotten the PD150, but I use it for videography and shooting Stop-motion into my computer. So I dont need the On camera xlr inputs and mixer. If you need to get good sound NOT from and omni mic, I'd say the PD150. Otherwise theyre basically the same camera.

I like the sony's better then Canon because they are better weighted, the Canon's are front heavy and strain the wrist. Also, they're heavy and clunky, and some of the buttons and input/outputs are in weird and imo stupid places. Also there is no LCD on the XL1...and I don't like the XL1's viewfinder because I find it not to be very crisp.

in lieu of my liking of Sony, if you can afford it and you are going to shoot live action to be transferred to film....get the Panasonic. I've "used it" in a store, but never in the field, as I have with all the other cameras except for the GL's. I personally don't have a need for it, but to be able to shoot 24FPS on DV....oh man. Slap some filters on it in post to add a little noise, maybe a little hue saturation..well, check out the Jan 2003 MacAddict "secret's of the pro's". Pretty nice way to get dv to look like film.

If you have a need, or even a strong want for 24fps and can afford it, get the panasonic. The VX2000 is about half the price and a wonderful camera, unless you want the xlr mic inputs...then get the PD-150. I personally don't like the feel of the canon's , though I cant say anythign about the GL's....

that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

8. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

The VX2000 is very tempting. The great thing about it is that I can use my old Sony TRV310's batteries on it.... hmmm.....

Now I'm between this:

Buy XL1 and be able to use my Canon EOS lenses or.....

Buy the VX2000 and already have 4 extra batteries for it......

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

my vote obviously goes to the VX2000.....however, if you go with the XL1 and you dont know what to do with those batteries..... :D ;)

10. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I have a PD150, its great, but I recently saw full quality quicktime videos comparing it to the new 24p panasonic...panasonic has a MUCH better film look. Better, deeper blacks, and the whites arent all burned out, washing out the colors.

I say panasonic.

But personally, I'm waiting for Sony's response to the panasonic.

Also, having a flip out screen is really, really nice.

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I'll take that into consideration if/when I buy the XL1.... of course I could still use the TRV310 for cover shots, so, I don't know at this moment

12. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Did you see the quicktime videos online? If so...do you know where I could see them....

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Video People! Which video camera should I get?

Well, if you decide the Canon GL1, I have one for sale. Just PM or Email me. Its about the same as the XL1, but there are no interchangable lenses. Its a sweet camera.

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I have a friend that just got the Panasonic. It is absolutely amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend it. The 24 fps make your shots look beautiful.

15. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Regarding the XL-1, the organization I work for has had theirs sent to the shop twice for repairs. The first, admittedly, was human error (someone tripped over cables connected to it, and it took a tumble down a few steps and wouldn't turn on anymore). The second, however, is a bit weird: it plays and records tapes just fine, but don't try rewinding them... the XL-1 eats them. It's currently being repaired.

16. Glossybear macrumors member

I've used all these cameras in the field except for the Panasonic (my boss wouldn't send me to DV EXPO :( ).

It really depends on what your shooting and what kind of support equipment you use.

Here are some of my thoughts.

The PD150 and XL1s are currently my 2 favorite cameras. The PD150 is better for hand-held work because it is better balanced. The PD150 also has on-board XLR, which is HUGE if you plan to record your sound on the DV tape. The XL1s has the lens options, and the Manuel lens that is availableness is GREAT (but an extra $1500).

The VX2000 is prettymuch a 150 w/o some of the bells and whistles (most notably the XLR) so if you are using a DAT or not too worried about audio this might be a good choice. And with either of the Sonys check out Century Optics for the .65 wideangle adapter. very nice.

The GL2 is a nice little camera, but not really upto snuff when it comes to printing to HD or 35. It has a VERY DV "look" and unless that is a stylistic choice, I would avoid the camera. UNLESS you are just shooting vacations, family stuff, Industrial videos, or weddings. The the GL2 might be perfect.

If I had 4 large to spend on a camera right now I would buy the Panasonic in an instant! I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of it, and its feature set is VERY impressive. The main disadvantage is in order to take advantage of the 24p you need Cinema Tools for FCP. At least until FCP4...

So my bottom line:
    Go with the Panasonic if you are a DV movie maker.
    Go with the VX2000 if your shooting personal stuff, industrial stuff, or guerilla stuff.

17. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

See, that's what I hear about the Panasonic but I still haven't seen it with my own eyes....

18. asparagui macrumors member

I've got a GL1. It's a good camera.

However, as GlossyBear pointed out, the PD-150 and the VX-2000 are also very nice.

The XL1/XL1-S are nice cameras, but they're only worth the extra money if interchangeable lenses are an important thing to you.

-Brett
    www.universe42.com

19. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Hey folks,
    Thanks for all the recommendations and information. I won't be buying a new camcorder soon due to the fact I have to pay $2100 for taxes....damn!

Thanks for all the info, though.

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well,

I have a GL1 if you are interested. And, there is no tax ;)

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You've gotten some really good avice here.
    DVX100 and PD150

I personally don't like canon's because they "tweak" the timing of their camera's which can lead to sync hell.

If it was me I'd get one of the Sony camera's just because I don't like buying "brand new" products (especially expensive ones). I'll let other people take the plunge and see what people are saying 6-8 months down the line.

But you really can't go wrong w/any of the cameras you are looking at. It boils down to price, preference, and purporse.

Lethal

22. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Re: Well,

Thanks but I meant I had to pay Uncle Sam $2100 this year....

23. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Well,

Oh, that sucks :(

Anyways, if anyone is interested, its going for 1600...

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Re: Well,

Muhahahahahaha

Sorry, I couldn't resist...:D :D :D

25. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

this used to be a problem...most editors compensate when using canon device control settings.

for my .02: i bought one of the first 500 XL-1's in 1998. I've kept up maintenance and never had a problem. i've put about 1500-1600 record/edit hours on it, dragged it across europe for two summers, shot two feature lengths, twenty shorts, four industrials, etc etc. The camera holds up. I just ordered an XL-1s.