video playback on powerbooks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by orijinal, Oct 31, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

if the window or program is not in focus, is the playback of some video not choppy? when some things embedded in webpages in safari and the window is not in focus, the framerate drops drastically. when i bring the window back into focus, the framerate gets back to normal.

does this happen to anyone else?

i swore this happened with quicktime and WMP alone, but now the framerate seems to be stable in and out of focus. i find that this is happening mostly in safari.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Your problem has a couple of causes, and yes it does happen when the primary window is not in focus (selected). If you streeming it will likely happen. Each program has a priority, and in general the formost program takes presidence.

I'd like to read in what ways media players and browsers (hey even the os) can be tweeked improve background preformance?

What program/(s) are you running in the foreground. What other media are you using at the same time. What is your machine's specs?

3. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

safari. it happens at different times, sometimes w/ a flash in the window or a windows media file.

i have a fully loaded powerbook 12" superdrive

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Flash always gets choppy when Safari is out of focus. WMP I can't give any info about, because I don't use it.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yes this is normal in Safari. I get it all the time. I think it does this to keep your system from slowing down.

OS X is good with its priorities. :)