Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Is there a way to organize my videos (resident on my IMac) so that I have different folders or playlists from the ATV? I want to set up something like this:

1. Kids Videos
2. Drama
3. Sports
4. Etc. . .

All I see on the ATV is My Movies. . .

Thanks
Adam

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
No it is a much asked for but not delivered feature request. The way I figure it is that Apple isn't doing it for several reasons.

1. They are now trying to really push the rental model.
2. They don't want to 'support' the use of the Apple TV as a easy way to rip and organize your DVD collection b/c that would promote the entire copyright breaking process that MTR and HB provide.
3. They won't fall for the 'if I have bought enough movies from the iTunes store under the purchase model' b/c they know that is just an argument to give us organization of ripped movies. Though in theory if you bought enough movies (anything over 30) from the iTunes store it would be cumbersome to select them from a long list.
4. Technically the way to get past this issue in their minds is that you simply sync not stream the movie you plan to watch and this should not be a TV based on-screen guide to your ripped library.

Personally I would love to see a genre breakdown for all my movies in my library and then instead of a list, a poster style grid like they do for rentals.

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
If you're asking if Apple has made it a feature, then the answer is no. But there are some creative ways to name and/or tag your movies for a higher level of control. None of these are as ideal as Apple actually giving us movie playlists. The only thing that could possibly prevent them from adding it is the fact it really doesn't help pad their fat wallets.

For example, since you have more control over grouping TV shows, you could tag all your Kids movies as TV shows, and label them all "Children's Movies" in the show field. This way you'd have them all grouped under the bogus show named "Children's Movies."

Another idea would be to manipulate the filenames to show up in the order you want. Whatever genre you wanted to show up first in your long list could be renamed with a single space before the movie title, the next genre's movies could all have two spaces, etc.

Again, not ideal, but at least you could group them the way you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.