Video Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macpoops, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I have downloaded quite a few of mpg and avi files. None of them play. I've tried jsut about any shareware program i can find. tried as many plugins as i can. Indeo on os 9 doesn't even work. Any ideas or recommendations?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

video lan client (vlc) works with nearly all videos... can get it on versiontracker.

3. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but VLC doesn't seem to be working. Oddly enough i changed the file extention to asf and it opens in wmp but it plays like absolute dog ****. Freezes on frames and plays audio fine.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm not sure of how much help this will be, but if you use Divx Doctor you can convert the .avi files to .mov, but there is no 100 percent guarentee they will play fine once converted.

As for the .mpg files, possibly this is in MPEG-2 video, or the file was encoded in windows. I have had this happen to me often when I try to download a specific lengthy file, and the video will not open. I'm not sure how to get around it, though. :(

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Yep, that would basically be the definition of asf... good audio, crap picture, if you can see it at all... but that has more to do with WMP than asf, technically speaking. Thank God for the Sorenson Spark codec (.mov).