Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Hi all, i have the macbook air and i want to copy my home movies on to the air but than i want to put them on a external hard drive. So since the air has only one USB port, how can i copy these to a folder on the air than remove them to a hard drive ?
I want to use one partion for my time machine and use the other for movies, but i would like to play them from the HD as well.

Sorry this may be simple but im pretty new to the mac world so i want to do it right the first time.
Also reason im doing this is to save space on my Air's HD.
Thanks all

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
any way to do it with out the hub ?
Like can i copy the movies to mac and then move them to the external hard drive ?
If so what is the best way ? Thanks

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
any way to do it with out the hub ?
Like can i copy the movies to mac and then move them to the external hard drive ?
If so what is the best way ? Thanks

are you asking if you can copy files onto the Air hard drive and then onto the external hard drive? Of course you can. Plug in the first hard drive. Drag the files to the desktop. When they're done copying eject that drive. Plug in the 2nd drive. Drag the files from the desktop to the new drive.

Unless I'm not understanding you correctly, I think you're making this more complicated then it has to be.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
well that makes sense, i wanted to make sure it was that easy because im use to windows, and now that im on mac i want to make sure im doing it right.
So once i do that, can i watch the videos right from the external HD ? or would the mac actually make another copy to put on the actual mac ? reason for doing this is i want to save as much space as i can on my HD so copying my home vids to the external would be the best way to go.
Thanks for ur reply

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
well that makes sense, i wanted to make sure it was that easy because im use to windows, and now that im on mac i want to make sure im doing it right.
So once i do that, can i watch the videos right from the external HD ? or would the mac actually make another copy to put on the actual mac ? reason for doing this is i want to save as much space as i can on my HD so copying my home vids to the external would be the best way to go.
Thanks for ur reply

you can watch them off the external drive, so you can save space on your normal hdd

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Hi all, i have the macbook air and i want to copy my home movies on to the air but than i want to put them on a external hard drive. So since the air has only one USB port, how can i copy these to a folder on the air than remove them to a hard drive ?
I want to use one partion for my time machine and use the other for movies, but i would like to play them from the HD as well.

Sorry this may be simple but im pretty new to the mac world so i want to do it right the first time.
Also reason im doing this is to save space on my Air's HD.
Thanks all

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why can't you just copy the movies to the external HDD and play them from the external?

Thanks for ur reply

What are you using to watch the movies? iTunes, iMovie, Quicktime?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.