Video Recording on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rhema, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Rhema macrumors member

So, I know a bunch of people have been talking the possibility of having video conferencing on the iPhone. Obviosuly the problem is that you need a camera facing at you, but then for regular pictures, you need one on the back. Basically..it seems like you need one going both directions.

so, for the iPhone, what do you guys think are the solutions for this problem?, some sort of camera that can move on the phone? have 2 cameras? what do you guys think.

If you wanna make a visual, or just type it out, either way is good.

2. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502

CaryMacGuy

Maybe iChat AV on the iPhone could look something like this:

[​IMG]

This might be the 2nd Generation iPhone...

3. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

It's quite possible Apple will include an iChat-type app in revision 2 but that would require 3G. In the keynote Jobs specifically says they're "looking forward to creating 3G phones", so I really wouldn't brush off the possibility of a 3G iPhone. To be completely honest, I'm surprised Apple didn't include 3G/video calling capabilities in this revision, my Nokia 6280 is 3G and includes some pretty nifty video calling abilities too.

EDIT: I'd guess that a video calling iPhone would have two cameras; a VGA face-mounted one and an "x" megapixel one on the back. That's how most phones are designed now.

4. Rhema thread starter macrumors member

I would agree that the best solution is to have two cameras. I know apple is super against having movable parts, so there is no way to have one camera do both. The only way for them to do that would be to put the camera on the front, and then have a small preview screen on the back. But having the preview screen just for taking pictures, to me would seem like a waste of time. But something I do wonder is why did apple no include a "self-portrait" mirror?

5. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i think on-the-go videoconferencing seems kinda pointless and unnecessary. it's barely functional at a computer, plugged into super-fast ethernet... do we really need it in our pockets?

it's cool, but not worth it imho.

6. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Nearly all my closest family and friends now own Mac's with iSights built in. I cant stress how important the video conf. has been in making communicating with them more enjoyable. Its nice to be able to see their reactions rather than gauge it by the tone of their voice. There are subtle cues that take place during conversation that can only be appreciated when you see the other person - video conf. makes this possible. Imagine that sort of rich communication ANYWHERE ANYTIME. That is why I am very much in favor of some sort of iChat AV for the iPhone.

7. chatster18 macrumors regular

So I kinda did a twist on it....

[​IMG]

8. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

A landscape screen orientation makes a lot more sense for a video app.

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

aside from networking issues, How much horse power would this need. Their is no way the processor could handle all those video streams. And battery issue.

10. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

My Nokia 6280 can handle video streams easily and it's not the most powerful device ever. Looking at what iPhone already has and can do I'd say video conferencing would be a walk in the park for it. Only lacking is the necessary 3G.

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The iPhone's screen is only 480x320. That means that each video stream in a four person video chat would be, what, 160x120 at most? Heck, iChat on the desktop supports 80x60 individual video feeds. I'm sure that since the iPhone can decode 640x480 H.264, it should be capable of three 80x60 streams. Then you just have to hope it has enough horsepower left to encode an 80x60 stream.

By contrast, the requirements to participate, but not host, a 4-way video chat on the desktop are a 1 GHz G4 and 100 kbps both-ways internet connection.

I don't know if the iPhone processor will be 1 GHz G4 equivalent or not (I would venture not,) but I know that EDGE won't support 100 kbps both ways.

But... H.263 (the video format used for video chat in Panther,) was less processor intensive, so it might be possible to do four-way H.263 with an iPhone. (Although iChat in Tiger only uses H.263 for single-person video chat on Panther, and always uses H.264 with other Tiger clients, including all multi-person video.)

12. chatster18 macrumors regular

Yes it is a better use of screen space.

I read somewhere that the processor is rumored to be an ARM 11, in comparison the the ARM 8 in Nintendos N gage, which handles the gaming enviroment

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo's NGage? Don't you mean Nokia's NGage?

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, he either means the Nokia N-Gage, or the Nintendo DS, I assume.

N-Gage uses an ARM9E at about 100 MHz.

DS uses two ARM processors, one ARM9, one ARM7, at 66 and 33 MHz respectively.

But N-Gage only needs to run a 176x208 screen, and DS runs two 256x192 screens. (Of which, only one can do 'full speed' 3D.) By contrast, iPhone is 480x320. More than 50% more pixels than both of the DS' screens combined, and over 4 times as many pixels as the N-Gage.

So, unless the iPhone has dedicated 3D hardware, it likely won't be able to do very impressive full-screen gaming.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

With no second camera this obviously won't be an option on the current phone. So the question is, will Apple release a different phone in the future? (the "true" video phone ;) And will we be willing to plunk down another $600 bucks when it comes out? Does Apple think we will?

I would wish for all the bells and whistles up front, but sadly I think I'm going to end up with gadget envy no matter what happens.

16. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i RARELY am able to get one more than one video conference going on my G5, there's always a bandwidth restriction or something....

i just cna't imagine it working on a phone.

17. chatster18 macrumors regular

Ya my bad, I just saw that, none the less the info is the same

18. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

I think it only makes sense to place a camera on the front and back of the phone, that Meizu M8 "iPhone clone" has a camera on both sides. I do agree that without 3G, it would probably be a pretty choppy video feed for chatting.

19. chatster18 macrumors regular

Also by putting the camera on both sides, it eliminates the need for moving parts, and no moving parts=less mechanical errors!

20. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I give props to the OP because he predicted FaceTime and a front facing camera all the way back in 2007!

21. Brandonsc macrumors member

Maybe a few years from now we can say the same about you when someone invents a way to connect a floppy drive to an iPhone.

22. Brandonsc macrumors member

I'm sorry to tease you, I hope you understand its all in good fun. I'm finished making jokes. Have a good day.

23. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

it a joke kid

24. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360