Video Resolution in FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by allseeingi, Jan 7, 2006.

1. allseeingi macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2006
    Should I be able to view video (undistorted) at a resolution that takes up my entire screen when I'm editing in FCE?
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't know if FCE has the "cinema desktop" feature or not, but FCP has a feature where you can enable your project to playback full screen in your monitor. Where it's full res or not I think would depend on what your playback quality settings are and if anything in your timeline needs to be rendered.

In FCE you can look under View-->external view and see if you have "cinema desktop" as an option (I think that's what it's called).

3. allseeingi thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2006
    It does have the "cinema desktop" feature. When I tried it, the image was distorted due to it being stretched out. I'll try rendering it later to see if that makes a difference.
  4. allseeingi thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2006

Rendering did not help. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
  5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    my experience is that unless u got a monitor out, your video quality on playback wont be earth shattering but once u have exported it out via quicktime, your footage will look nice
  6. skimaxpower Guest

Jan 13, 2006
    If you make DV video fill the full screen it will always look bad. Your screen has (at least) a resolution of 1024x768. DV has a resolution 720x480. Any time you stretch it that much, it'll look bad. Personally, I always try to leave my preview/canvas screen at 100% size. That way you get no distortion.

Your best option is to push your "full screen" video to a TV. I know FCP does this, not sure about FCE. On a TV you'll see the real color and quality of DV. It really does look a lot better on a TV screen.