Video to my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cgratti, Feb 27, 2005.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

What are the best devices to transfer video from my video camera to my mac so I can use iDVD and iMovie to burn them to DVDs?

What hardware is the norm and what should I avoid?

TIA

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It would help if you stated which model camera you use. Most camcorders today have FireWire, which means that all you need is a FireWire cable.

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

All I do is connect my Canon zr60 via Firewire and open up iMovie then import through it. Then I edit my movie in iMovie and share it to iDVD where I then burn a copy of it. If you have a digital video camera it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't, then sorry, I'm no help.

If you're unsure if your camera is digital or not, a digital camera uses Mini-DV tapes (small and expensive little monsters) and I've never seen a digital video camera without at least a 4-pin Firewire connector.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Well, if your camera doesn't have firewire or 4 pin firewire (i-Link). Then you will need a capture box which will set you back roughly $200 - $300 so you would probably be better off buying a new camera for $400 because if your old camera doesn't have firewire then it is likely to be crappy.