Video Transfer Question?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Liebo11, Dec 20, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys I have a Panasonic PV-GS320 and was wondering how long it took to transfer videos via iMovie or whatever is fastest . . . for one video i transferred using iMovie and it took the amount of time the video was which seemed weird? Also once I clicked off it said it was like doing something else and then i could save the video to my computer??? Can someone help me out? Also is firewire the only way to transfer video?

2. -DH
    macrumors 65816

Why does that seems weird? Capturing from tape is done in real time. A one hour tape will take one hour.

Huh?

Pretty much. Firewire has a sustained data flow, unlike USB which transfers data in packets (short bursts). What other method did you have in mind?

-DH

3. thread starter macrumors member

i don't know i just thought it wouldn't take so long to transfer to the computer?

4. macrumors 68040

decksnap

After you import, can you export/ dump out the dv files from iMovie in their original quality? I just dumped an hour of video off a dv tape so we could reuse the tape, but we need to put those dv files onto DVDs for transport, and the iMovie project file itself it way too big. Don't want to encode or lose any quality from the original dv file.

5. -DH
    macrumors 65816

If you want to keep the original quality but need to move/transport the files, just keep the original tapes. Cheapest storage around. DV takes up about 13.3gb per hour ... do the math.

-DH

6. macrumors newbie

You don't lose quality when you do the switch. iMovie is made to do those transfers to DVD's. Even when compressing the quality will stay the same. The only way you would lose quality would be by going through a digital converter because to go into the converter you would be forced to use an RCA or S-Video cable which will cause a decrease whereas Firewire is a digital signal resulting in no loss of quality.
    Gabriel
    Video Express
    http://www.videoexpressmontreal.com

7. -DH
    macrumors 65816

In what world does compressing NOT result in a quality loss?

-DH

8. macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm... I don't think so (or perhaps I am misunderstanding your answer). If you are BURNING to DVD/MPEG-2 format, you lose quality compared to DV. If you are moving DV files to a DVD ROM, then you are just using the DVD as a physical, transportable disk, and the files are remaining as DV. Quality is not lost. The DVD ROM is acting like a hard disk.

Honestly, though, if the OP wanted just a way to port files physically, then they should buy an external, portable hard drive. You can put a lot more on that HDD than a DVD ROM.

9. macrumors 6502a

When capturing from a tape camcorder into a PC, you are in essence "playing" the capture into the PC via firewire. You are not moving a digital file, but "playing" the media (like if you were recording from one VCR to another). That's why the time to transfer is 1:1 to the length of the media you are capturing.

If you use a Hard disk, flash-based or DVD camcorder, then you are transfering files onto your computer. But at standard definition, those other 3 options capture at lower quality than DV. So, stick with the DV, but realize it is real time capture to your computer. Once you have the files on your computer, you can then move them anywhere you want in less than real time.

If you want to turn the DV files into a DIFFERENT format (say, .mov, .dvd) then the length of time to transcode the dv files into a different format is driven by the power of your hardware and the software you are using. It could take anywhere from a portion of real time to more than real time.

10. macrumors newbie

Video Transfer Question?

Hi, What i meant was that there is a loss of quality but its very minimal. Unless your viewing a really good TV, the loss is minimal and barely noticeable. Its not something i would worry about.
    Gabriel