Video Wallpaper App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Punkwaffle, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

So the only thing I kinda like in Vista is the useless make your desktop wallpaper a video thingy. So is there anything like that available on OS X?

Thanks.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can make a screensaver into a desktop wallpaper image, that might be the closest you get.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure I have an app that does that on my work computer, but unfortunately I'm blanking on the name. If no one else comes up with something, I'll try to remember to check tomorrow. Sorry! :eek:

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

To perform the function that gauchogolfer is referring to, there's an app called BackLight. This is an elegant solution for running a screensaver as your desktop, but it can also be achieved from Terminal and/or an AppleScript solution, as it's built into OS X's ScreenSaverEngine app. I'd suggest BackLight, though.

There's also a program to run a DVD, using DVD Player, as the desktop, but I really found it awkward and obtuse.

5. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

ya lookin fi app named savehollywood. it does EXACTLY wha you aksed for. backligt is really nice too for running screensavers as backgrounds. but fi MOVIES, ya wan savehollywood.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I thought SaveHollywood was just for running movies as screensavers, not as desktop backgrounds.

I'm at home sick today, so I haven't been in to work to find the app I'm thinking of...hopefully in a bit I can gather my strength and head in to work.

7. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

ya know wha? you right, after rereading di post. BUT i stand by it. just get both. savehollywood will let you select di movie ya wan. then use backlight fi selct savehollywood as di wallpaper.

example: ya wan use musicvideo.avi as wallpaper. SO, go a screensaver n choose savehollywood. from savehollywood choose musicvideo.avi. THEN, go into backlight fi choose savehollywood screensaver. yeayea, get it?

post back here if ya need help wid it. :p

8. scokim macrumors regular

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Apart from his 'net street talk' Toby is correct :D

Allow me to translate: "You know what? You are right, and after rereading the post, I still stand by my original suggestion of getting both. SaveHollywood will allow you to select the movie you want and then use Backlight with the screensaver, SaveHollywood, to display it as a wallpaper.

For example: You wish to use musicvideo.avi as your wallpaper. You would select SaveHollywood as your screensaver and within the options, select musicvideo.avi as the source. Then, in Backlight, choose SaveHollywood as the screensaver for Backlight to display. Does that make sense?

Feel free to respond if anything is not clear and you require assistance. (tongue smiley)"

- Translation services courtesy of Wise Ass Productions :p

10. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Absolutely must try Desksaver Plus! it is free, amazingly simple, widget that allows you to do just what you are asking about. I love it and run my rss screensaver in as the desktop.

By the way does anyone know of a way to create an RSS feed of individually selected stock quotes? Essentially I am trying to make the RSS screen saver's 10 individual items into 10 individual, and updated, stock quotes. I have found nothing at all to make this happen. If I don't hear anything, I think I am going to try and make an application to handle this, but that would be highly difficult for my basic programing knowledge.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I finally stumbled into work and tracked down the app I was thinking of: DesktopMagik. A very cool little app. It usually costs a few bucks, but I picked it up for free during the MacAppADay special.

12. Punkwaffle thread starter macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

wow. thanks for all the reccomendations. now a followup...
    where can i download the desktop movies with vista, the waterfall, the raccoon, etc...