Video Watermaking Tool?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tacoX, Dec 3, 2006.

1. tacoX macrumors newbie

I have a bunch of videos that I need to watermark - do you know any programs that I can attach like a transparent image to the video?

Thanks much in advance!

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can use Quicktime Pro using 24-bit PNGs to overlay a watermark over your digital video file. You'll need to do a recompression to make it stick permanently.

Or if you have Apple's Compressor, that comes part with FCS, it has a watermarking feature, but again, you'll need to re-render out an export or compress to MPEG-2 for DVDs.

3. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Thanks for this, but I am looking at another problem concerning video watermarking:

I want to upload a video as soon as possible after it has been taken - with a watermark!

The problem is that this re-encoding "to make it stick" is taking 2,5x the time of the real-time duration on my MBP. This is just too long. I am talking 45 minutes of footage, and I could only upload it 2 hours later? Too late.

I saw that Quicktime Pro can put a transparent image on the video, yet anyone who is a BIT savvy can remove that additonal layer from the .mov file.

I read about some protection schemes... is there something that makes it impossible to remove the watermark-layer? Re-encoding is just not viable for me.

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I am not sure that there is a solution to your problem. You want to change the image, and that requires re-encoding the video. It just takes time, I am afraid. You could use a less-effective, faster codec to create the video, but then you'd have to deal with larger files and/or lower quality.

- Martin

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Thank you. But thats the point: If I only save the Quictime file with two layers (the unchanged video and the transparent watermark), the video doesnt have to be re-encoded!

I am just asking for a way to save the file in a way that the watermark-layer cannot be (too easily) removed by the folks who downloaded it.

Any advice? Encoding it again just takes too long :(

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I know, but if you think about it, that's really self-contradictory. The only way to make the watermark safe (i.e. prevent people from removing it) is to make it an intrinsic part of the picture. Any solution involving multiple layers still contains the full original image information.

- Martin