Video wont play w/ VLC what to use???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Oct 11, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if there are any other awesome programs to play videos, I have that, quicktime, mplayer, wont work? is there anything else that might work? one file is an mpeg the other a wma, tried windows media player also, also, why isnt quicktime able to play anything you would think that apple would integrate an awesome video player with all there other features, will this be fixed on tiger?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

as said, i tried mplayer but thanks for the advice

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you've tried VLC, MPlayer, Quicktime, and WMP then you'll probably have to start hunting for codecs. Does just audio play, just video play, or neither? You might need to convert the video you have to another format. A web site like VCDhelp.com is a good place to look although they don't have a ton to offer on the Mac front. You might just try figuring out what codecs your videos use... you may even have to burn them to a CD/DVD as data and play them on a Windows box to find out...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ooppps! Sorry :eek:

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

N00b...

:p

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just... for some reason... couldn't... resist... man I'm bored today.... *sigh*

10. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

tried a converter, no access to a pc,, how can i figure out which codec i need and how can i use it?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Odds are very high that the "MPEG" you have isn't a real MPEG file; it's something else inside an MPEG wrapper. If the WMA you have is protected, no Macintosh application will play it - not even Windows Media 9 for Mac. The reason QuickTime can't play everything is because:
    1. Microsoft would NEVER let Apple include Windows Media codecs with QuickTime, since Windows Media and QuickTime are direct competitors.
    2. The same argument applies to Real and all the other proprietary (video) formats out there - the holders refuse to let Apple use them in QuickTime. As far as audio support goes, Apple probably doesn't think it's worth their while to add support for some of the more oddball audio formats to QuickTime, such as Ogg Vorbis, Monkeys Audio, and the various modules (MOD, IT, S3M, XM, 669, MTM, STM, MADx (from PlayerPRO), MED, etc.).

12. LordRPI macrumors newbie

If VLC doesn't play it, chances are nothing will. I've come accross the occasional mpeg (from my Digital Camera) that won't play at all.

Both VLC and Mplayer use a similar decoding library based off of libavcodec (ffmpeg) though, so both will play back the same exact things.

It would be great if somebody would make the equivalent to the Windows 'GSpot though" on cocoa/carbon. /me gets evil ideas :)