Video won't play

Discussion in 'iPod' started by LordRaz, Aug 25, 2006.

1. LordRaz macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    I have an 60GB iPod video. I have a video in the video section, but when i try to drag it onto my iPod, it says this:

Some of the songs in the iTunes Music Library, including the song "(name of video)", were not copied to the iPod "(name of iPod)" because they cannot be played on this iPod.

wtf? Why can't i put videos on my ipod?
  2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    The iPod will only play certain video formats, namely MOV, MPEG and MP4 format IIRC - anything that is encoded in MPEG-4 or H.264. If your videos are not in the proper iPod-friendly format, you will have to use a utility like iSquint to convert them.
  3. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    if you realy want it on there just right click on it (ctrl click 4 1 button mouse) and select convert for ipod)

TA-DA the newly converted file winn now copy to your ipod.
  4. LordRaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    One of the files is an MPEG file an dit won't go on the ipod... it won't convert either. Says there's some error. I think the number is -50.
  5. rebhaf macrumors member

Aug 25, 2005
    Can any Quicktime file work on an iPod?

On a similar note, I'm looking to buy a new video-capable iPod but am worried about whether or not my videos will work. I have a bunch of Quicktime clips (that are precious to me and they're the main reason I'd buy the video iPod), which I made in iMovie but I no longer have the iMovie files. When I converted them to Quicktime, I kept them in high res for DVD quality (never thought about puting them on an iPod).

So my question is...

Can I just drag any Quicktime video onto an iPod, even if it's about 2GB?

Or is there a way to convert these existing high-res Quicktime clips to whatever format the iPod requires (I'm guessing a lower-res Quicktime file)? If so, what would I need to do?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  6. abeyk macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Get Videora iPod Converter, its better than iTunes converter (and free)
  7. mdickson macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2006
    Baton Rouge, La.
    With Quicktime Pro you can convert any file that will play in Quicktime to iPod format. While the file is playing go to file -> export and select iPod Video.
  8. rebhaf macrumors member

Aug 25, 2005
    Thanks for the help. I bought QuickTime Pro and it converts it brilliantly -- looks great on my iPod.

One question though...
    The first QuickTime video I compressed was 2 GB and it took abount 1 hour and 15 minutes to transfer it into iPod format. The second one (which I'm in the middle of compressing now) is 6GB and it seems like it will run about the same speed rate, 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

It seems incredibly long. When I make a QuickTime video straight from an iMovie file it only takes about 25 minutes or so, depending on the size. Could this really be 3 or 4 times slower?

I appreciate any resonses.