videocamera with hard disk (a very hot item)

Discussion in 'Community' started by magicmusic, Oct 25, 2003.

1. magicmusic macrumors newbie

I have started a thread about it at macosx.com . I am with Applesalespeople in talk about this. I would be pleased if it will be included now with the rumors.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't quite understand this post...

Is this something you believe that Apple SHOULD release?

Or is this something you believe (based on your sources) that Apple WILL release?

Or is this something a third-party SHOULD release?

Or perhaps something a third-party WILL release?

Is this something that you (or your company) are releasing?

Is this something that YOU have pitched to Apple/third-party and they bought into the idea?

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: videocamera with hard disk (a very hot item)

Yeah, well of course every idea anyone ever has sent to apple becomes a confirmed rumour on the site, yep they send it right up there to the first page, didn't you see my rumour when I told apple they should add a VR helmet to the next iMacs with a power glove type controller for virtual typing and stuff, I mean yeah I mentioned it to apple so it's definitely in the works now. :rolleyes:
    yeah man.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Let's not be so harsh on the guy.

So this IS an idea you just randomly sent to Apple, though?

I imagine it would have more weight if you were in talks with, say, Steve Jobs or Phil Schiller or someone.

Apple salespeople, on the other hand... I doubt that they have the ear of even their customers 50% of the time, not to mention the high-level hardware development executives who would have to approve a directive like this.

So, in other words, talking to Apple salespeople really means nothing, because they probably have even less power than you do to convince Apple to sell a new product. Think about it. These guys get paid a few bucks over minimum wage plus commission. Do you really think that a multi-million dollar product development and launch would be initiated because Billy Bob in the Phoenix store or Annie May on the hotline said, "Well, I think this would be a good idea."?

It's doubtful.

5. magicmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

originally posted by medea
    Yeah, well of course every idea anyone ever has sent to apple becomes a confirmed rumour on the site, yep they send it right up there to the first page, didn't you see my rumour when I told apple they should add a VR helmet to the next iMacs with a power glove type controller for virtual typing and stuff, I mean yeah I mentioned it to apple so it's definitely in the works now.
    yeah man.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't see what your last post has to do with anything. you know Apple won't be making another foray into the world of digital photography, right? not for a long time. and Apple rarely spends years developing a product and then releasing it because someone called one of their salespeople.

unless you mean you want Apple to carry them at their store... which will no doubt happen anyway...

pnw

7. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

You know, instead of being a jerk, I'm just going to say that video cameras should have hard drives! It's about damn time!

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I really don't get this....if you have some concrete rumors about it - submit the story.

As for discussion - sure the technology is all there, but we still can't even record decent audio on an iPod.....so what's to say we're going to get iPod/iSight compatibility or new technology for digital video. And what format are they going to use for compression - cause it won't be raw RGB - the drives aren't big enough yet to make it viable for taking any length of video, even on a 40 Gig drive.....

D

9. magicmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

I can only say that my idea is only two weeks old and that a multinational for who my family works for finds it a good idea, but heavy costly.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Your idea? Uh, the idea has been around for quite a long time. And not only is it costly, its got a few other roadblocks. The codec for storing the video on disk, file format and compression will be very important.

This is only a logical progression of the technology from digital video tape to digital video stored on a hard drive. Right now you take video, hook it up to your computer and download the movie. Once digital drive video cameras become wildly available you'll be able to mount the camera as a firewire drive. Very convenient. And there might even be options to swap out drives like tape cassettes so you don't have to worry about having a computer close by to copy the video to allowing you to do more shooting.

There is a new sony video camera that records right to DVD - the only problem with that is that it has low resolution video (340k pixels). Just give it a little more time and we'll be seeing 'your' cameras everywhere. ;)

D

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Tapeless video cameras, in general, are not viable options right now. Tape is small, cheap, and durable. You could have one big internal HDD for capture, but when that drive gets full you'll need a computer around to xfer it to. Of course companies could use smaller drives w/less capacity in a modular fashion, but then you're carring around multiple HDDs which will be bigger, heavier, and more expensive than carring around multiple MiniDV tapes. And DVD based units are lacking in picture quality and support compared to MiniDV cameras.

Now, if we are talking about lower res, novelty type feature/device (like cell phones taking stills, or digital stills recording quicktimes movies) then something like smacking an iSight on top of an iPod would be a fun thing to do, but in terms of tape being replaced anytime soon it's just not gonna happen.

Lethal

12. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Tape gets taken up eventually too, though. But the hard drive is going out in 5-10 years anyway. Whatever comes after that is gonna be it.