Videos and iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gherkin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Why do videos show up in iTunes under my music library? The program is called iTUNES. Under the artist category I have stuff like Ali G and Simpsons. Doesn't make any sense.

There's already a video tab, they don't need to be mixed in with my music.

Anyone else find this annoying?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You are clicking on the "Library" part of iTunes which shows everything in your "Library". Make a "music" smart playlist.

3. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Better yet "shift apple b" brings up the search bar and you can set it to music and the library will only display music, no more video

4. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

I like this. Thanks.

5. LastLine macrumors 65816

How exactly do you do this on a Smart Playlist? I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In iTunes: File > 'New Smart Playlist'

It will ask you certain requirements (you can have as many or as few as you like). From this point on, anything that meets those requirements (or doesn't, depending on how you set it up) will automatically be placed in that smart playlist (make sure you check 'live updating').

7. LastLine macrumors 65816

Sorry yeah, smart playlists I can do - I just haven't figured out a way to differentiate between video and music files yet. Any ideas?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Oh, sorry.

Actually I haven't been able to find a way to do it either. I suppose you could create a really elaborate smart playlist that covered file types (under the 'kind' category), but that seems awfully complicated.

9. LastLine macrumors 65816

Yeah, it seems a gaping whole in iTunes right now as I really don't want my iPod playing videos midplaylist. hmm

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Ya, it is. I'm always thought they should ad another default category on the sidebar just for music (right under 'Library' and right above 'Podcasts').

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Smart Playlist with "Kind' 'doesn't contain" and the word "video" (no quotation marks" will bring back just music files. Mine also takes out digital booklets and podcasts from the Library by adding similar 'doesn't contains'

12. NicP macrumors 6502