Videos converted to iPod (with QT) NO sound.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by milo, Oct 3, 2006.

1. milo macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    Anyone seen this? I've been converting a bunch of videos to iPod format using Quicktime. Most work great, but I've had a couple that ended up with no sound track. The originals play fine in QT.

Any ideas?
  2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    Sorry can't help you fix your problem, but I can direct you to a great free app called iSquint which I've used forever. You can batch encode and....well check it out.
  3. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    I have had this same problem but I haven't found a fix for it. It doesn't always happen. The times that it has I was trying to convert video for use on my iPod.
  4. milo thread starter macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    Does iSquint support the new h.264 at 640x480?
  5. milo thread starter macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    Just did a test, and it converted to 320. Not really an option until they update to support 640.

Are there any other apps that support the new 640 ipod format? Unfortunately it looks like it wil be a while for Handbrake. I've heard that visualhub does, but I'd rather not pay for something other apps will likely soon do for free.
  6. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    VisualHub will. It costs a few quid, but its from the same guy as iSquint.
  7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I've had this problem too, and have found the best way to do it is by using MPEG Streamclip + QuickTime. I have no idea the technical side of things, but it has something to do with demuxing, etc.
  8. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Not helping, but quicktime cant export MPEG1 and 2 files where the audio has been muxed :confused: into the stream, I think it means that the audio stream is integrated into the video stream and for some reason quicktime cant deal with that when exporting, I guess the files you cant exported are muxed MPEG1 files.
  9. milo thread starter macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    That's exactly it, it turned out to be mpeg 2 muxed. Means multiplexed, which means interleaved, which means audio and video are mixed to one track instead of kept separate.

iSquint handled the file OK, but it only supports 320x240 so far. OK for stuff I just plan to watch then trash, but I guess I'll keep looking for a 640 solution. And report the bug to apple, they need to import things properly or at LEAST show an error if it's not going to work right.