Videos not playing on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diegozuniga, Oct 23, 2006.

1. diegozuniga macrumors newbie

I have a bunch of movies that I burned from my previous Ibook to play on my new Macbook. These are generaly mpg movies but no program in my Macbook lets me open them, I have tried VLC, Flip4Mac, and Quicktime. The only message that I get is an error in VLC and it says, "main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format." I can hear the sounde but no picture is displayed.

These videos used to open fine in my Ibook and new most new videos that I try to download don't work as well. Please help, I need to see a lot of these videos for a class and this is killing me.

Thanks a lot,

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Are you sure you installed the current, Intel-native Flip4Mac version, and did so correctly? Because the older PowerPC version that you might still have from your iBook will not work.

3. diegozuniga thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i am positive in installed the right one. I also installed Windows Media Player and it doesn't play them their as well.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You shouldn't install Windows Media player on any Mac, especially Intel ones.

5. andcraig macrumors regular

WMV3 is WMV9 which is the codec used by Windows Media Player 10.
    Confusing isn't it.

Microsoft never felt like releasing the information necessary to run this on a Mac, or any other non-windows system for all i know.

I found a blog a while back where a guy compiled MPlayer with WMV3 support (i guess MS released it as part of ratifying the standard or some such, but it's not in any released software). I tried getting it to work but it would never compile properly for me.

Sorry.

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

The newest flip4Mac should have done the trick, I have some wmv3 movies that won't play in vlc but play just fine in QT. mabye try to reinstall it.