Videos Stuttering on iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by erise, Feb 12, 2007.

1. erise macrumors member

I'm trying to convert TV shows (recorded in the DV format) so they are viewable on my iPod. I've been using the 640x480 H.264 low-complexity High quality option in iSquint. The files have a bitrate of about 1.35Mbps, which is less than 1.5Mbps the http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html page says is allowed. However, the videos briefly stutter frequently when I try to play them on the iPod. I was at firmware version 1.2.1 and downgraded to 1.2, but the problem is the same on both. Videos purchased from the iTunes Store have never skipped, despite having a higher bitrate. Also converted VOB files play fine too. Has anyone else seen this problem?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hello! I have had this exact problem! It's very annoying. As far as I could tell, I was using the same exact settings as Apple-encoded iTMS videos. I don't understand what they are doing to the files to make them look and play very very good. I'm using the App Visual Hub though.

3. erise thread starter macrumors member

iSquint and VisualHub are both made by the same guy, and I think they both use ffmpegX to do the video encodings, so maybe it is an ffmpegX bug. Have you seen the stuttering only with converted DV files or with other files also?

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I too was converting DV video from EyeTV to iPod compatible format. So maybe it does have something to do with the software that is encoding it. Does anyone know how Apple encodes their videos?

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

You should contact the guy who codes the isquint/Visual hub. I sent him a bug I found for a very early version of isquint. not only did he fix it whithin a day but he sent me the new version. Nice guy.

I looked on the isquint site and all questions are being answered by "techspansion". You should probably just send in the bug report anyway as Im sure its the same guy who is coding the app.

techspansion@mac.com

6. hexoffender macrumors newbie