Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I'm trying to find out what the best solutions are for archiving old videotapes on my PowerBook. I have a ton of old family films on tapes that are slowly degarding that I want to feed into my PowerBook, edit in iMovie and archive on iDVD.

I don't want to break the bank but want as good of a quailty transfer as I can get.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of products that might fit the bill? Also, when feeding the video in what program would I be using to capture it? iMovie?

Thanks in advance.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Anything that plugs into your Powerbook via Firewire will enable you to capture the video in iMovie. I had a Dazzle DV-Bridge (or something like that) but I don't use it anymore as I have a Mini-DV camcorder that has analog pass through.

So your options are a DV bridge or a mini-DV camcorder with an analog passthrough. Of course the mini-DVD camcorder will cost more but you get a mini-dv camcorder... :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
OK - I just dug this up on another forum. anyone use or have any suggestions about these:

The Formac is an option. As is Canopus ADVC-100, ElGato TV, ADS USB Instant DVD, and many others."

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Ok - the Formac looks really good - side by side in their comparison with El-Gato the Formac looks much better.

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_converters_studiodvtv

"Whether you want to convert your analog videos for editing, or turn your Macintosh into a TV with digital video recording capabilities - Formac has the right solution for you! "

For $299, This device allows you to input video and also has a built-in TV tuner so you can turn your Mac into a TIVO - iMove 3 integrated! Personally I don't think I need the TV feature - anyboady know of anything cheaper
w/o the TV function?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Now I've read a ton of great reviews of the Canopus ADVC-100 - does not have Tivo-like features but is cheaper. As I have Tivo already I don't think I'd really use those features. I'm thinking I can pick up a Canopus ADVC-100 on ebay cheap. Any thoughts?

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I just got the Canopus ADVC-55 it's a one-way bridge analogue>DV only unlike the ADVC-100 which has DV>analogue output. It's cheaper by about $70 (well CDN) and is immediately recognized as a DV input device by iMovie 4, Toast 6.05, Gcam, Evocam, and iChat AV. What's also nice is it's totally powered by firewire so there's no big wall wart.

I'd give it a very high reccomendation.

advc55_angle_320.jpg

review: http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/canopus_advc55.html

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Avoid El Gato products for this. They work well enough, but they don't let you access the stream separately (meaning you need to record it all, then save it elsewhere, as opposed to just importing it like a videocam feed). Unless you also need a built-in TV tuner, you're much better off with a dedicated analog<->DV device (bidirectional - analog->DV and DV->analog - is better in case you ever want to go back out to tape, but not required).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
live4ever said:
I just got the Canopus ADVC-55....

I was just looking at that. I wasn't sure if I wanted to sacrifice DV->analog, but the reviews of the ADVC-55 seem very positive. Good to hear that you like it!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I am also strongly considering the Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV Version 9 product.

Anyone know anything about it? It's bidirectional and seems to be a pretty good deal, but I'd like to know if anyone has it or has seen a reliable review of it.

I'm just a bit concerned I'd be paying for PC software I won't use, but the product itself seems pretty good.

Edit:

Never mind. I've seen enough bad reviews I'm going to shy away from it.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Wait...

SilentPanda said:
Anything that plugs into your Powerbook via Firewire will enable you to capture the video in iMovie. I had a Dazzle DV-Bridge (or something like that) but I don't use it anymore as I have a Mini-DV camcorder that has analog pass through.

So your options are a DV bridge or a mini-DV camcorder with an analog passthrough. Of course the mini-DVD camcorder will cost more but you get a mini-dv camcorder... :)

I have a Camcorder with analog/digital(Firewire) in/out, doe sit mean I can plug my videorecorder to my camcorder and at the same time the camcorder to the mac and import to iMovie?? If yes, Cool!!! :eek:

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
AmigoMac said:
I have a Camcorder with analog/digital(Firewire) in/out, doe sit mean I can plug my videorecorder to my camcorder and at the same time the camcorder to the mac and import to iMovie?? If yes, Cool!!! :eek:

yes what you do is simple..there is a special calbe that should of come with your camera. it has 3 rca jacks. (analog) then you press a combination of buttons and you record it to dv....then capture to mac. i havent tried it but i am taking a guess you can pass through....

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
AmigoMac said:

I have an older Sony, one of the first digital ones, and I need to record the analog input to a tape, then connect to do a DV transfer to the Mac. Just about any digital camcorder that was made since, oh, 2001/2002, should be able to just let you connect the VCR to the analog plugs and the Mac the the DV output and act as a pass-through (i.e., no need to tape digitally first, then transfer). Some of the cameras require you to do some set-up in the menus to allow this, and some do it by default.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I use the Canopus ADVC100 and I love it.

I takes any RCA or SVHS source and converts on the fly to DV format.

Is it good to 'watch' VCR tapes? Nope, as it will suck drive space to make that DV file. But if youneed to get old VHS into DV format for FCP, iMovie, and such then its a great tool. Plug and play.
aricher said:
OK - I just dug this up on another forum. anyone use or have any suggestions about these:

The Formac is an option. As is Canopus ADVC-100, ElGato TV, ADS USB Instant DVD, and many others."

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I think I'll go with the Canopus ADVC100. I don't need the Tivo-type features of Formac or El-Gato and I have yet to find a bad review of the Canopus. Thanks to everyone for their help - I'm off to ebay to search for a deal.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
aricher said:
I think I'll go with the Canopus ADVC100. I don't need the Tivo-type features of Formac or El-Gato and I have yet to find a bad review of the Canopus. Thanks to everyone for their help - I'm off to ebay to search for a deal.
I'm in a similar situation (i.e. I'd like to "rip" some old videotapes into iMovie) but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I had at least done the research and found what you found, that the Canopus ADVC-100 seems to be the way to go. If you don't mind, would you consider posting back here if (when) you get this working? [Or PM me if that's more appropriate.] I'd be interested to hear how this goes for you.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As everyone here might or might not know, once you can do analog->DV, you can use a VCR to watch a TV channel (or, of course, old VCR tape) over iChat.

You can even script it so you can watch it remotely when no one's at home to handle iChat.

Just an interesting use for those of us with analog->DV converters - a group I plan to put myself into within the week.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Keep in mind if you are a student, the Canopus store offers a nice Student/Educational diso****. I used it and it was the best deal around for me.

Also, the ADVC 50 is cheaper and does nearly everything the 100 does.
aricher said:

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
This is what I used my Canopus ADVC 100 to so. I had old research footage on VHA and needed it digital to make a DVD.

The set up was simple. Plug in firewire cable and power cable. Plug in VCR via RCA jacks. Open iMovie. Press play on VCR. Choose import on iMovie. Wait for movie to inport. Editi in iMovie and export to iDVD and BAM, instant DVD.

Very easy and nice. I cannot tell any loss of quality, but again, the source if 8 yearold vhs, so it sucks to begin with.
Lyle said:
I'm in a similar situation (i.e. I'd like to "rip" some old videotapes into iMovie) but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I had at least done the research and found what you found, that the Canopus ADVC-100 seems to be the way to go. If you don't mind, would you consider posting back here if (when) you get this working? [Or PM me if that's more appropriate.] I'd be interested to hear how this goes for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.