Videoteleconferencing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Moe, May 1, 2003.

1. Moe macrumors regular

Doing a search on the Apple Knowledgebase and through this forum for the subject, as well as H.323, is turning up some grim results for this potential 2nd time switcher.

I even went to the CUSeeMe website and found out it now only supports Windows! Heresy! (I've run both a CUSeeMe reflector and White Pine Meeting Point server for both Macs and PCs running CUSeeMe and PCs running Netmeeting).

So far, my hardware compatibility checks look good for my Canon S330 digital camera, my Canon S900 printer and even the Viking USB Compact Flash Reader (not to mention my old Postscript Laserwriter NTR). And I'll snag a Bluetooth card for my Palm m515.

But what about a USB camera (Intel has dropped support for my PC Camera Pro and the Logitech parallel camera is long since gone)? FWIW, the Intel software worked pretty well with Netmeeting. I'm looking for the same for the Mac since the DIL has Netmeeting.

I can't believe the original innovator platform in this field is without H.323 these days!

Tell me it ain't so! I've already invested in the O'Reilly OS-X for Unix Geeks and Hacks books, and took the wife to look at Macs today! She won't like it if she can't videoteleconference with the grandkids

I really appreciate the help here!

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well you may be surprised. apple is working on some videoconferencing with ichat2 according to the rumors. they recently posted a job opening. i would wait this summer when panther will be previews and you may be blown away with what apple has to offer. with the job postings and stuff i think you should wait.

iJon

3. Moe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, iJon. I sure hope you're right and it's compatible with Netmeeting and Polycom equipment!