Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Has anybody figured-out how to access your iPad data usage stats on ATT's web site?

The built-in stats are useless. If you are on the unlimited plan, it only shows you how many DAYS are left of your 30 days. (So, you can't judge whether you actually need the unlimited plan.) And the usage counter in "Settings" seems to reset itself periodically (without indicating a reset date/time), rendering it useless as well.

I tried to access my account online using the password I used to create the account, and both my email address and iPad's phone number as a username. No dice.

L151: Our records show that the wireless number you entered is not registered for My World. If this is your first time accessing your account information online, you first need to complete registration.

Error number: L151

I thought maybe it took some time for the information to hit the web site. But it's been a few days since I activated the service now.

Then, I figured I might have to register first for a seperate bill-management account. So, I tried registering.

Catch-22.

R323: Online account management for Business Accounts is available via Premier. Click here to register.

So, followed the link to the Premier site:

Consumer accounts cannot be accessed via the Premier Online Care Web site. Please register at http://www.wireless.att.com/myaccount.

Can... not... compute... my... electronic... brain... is... about... to... explode!

So, is there ANY way to view reliable usage statistics if you have an unlimited account? ATT has really pushed consumers into an untenable corner. No way to tell which plan makes sense for you, other than using their flawed estimation calculator.

glickman

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Same problem

I'm having the exact same problem - followed the flow you outlined and had the same result. Has anyone figured this one out.

One other thought I had was downloading the ATT iPhone app - maybe it would show us this data?

dmittleman

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Same here, and more

I hit the same loop with my iPad. I phoned ATT Customer Care and talked to Tech Support. The guy there (either call sent to India, or I got an American with an Indian accent) said that [1] there is no way to acquire usage data on a prepaid account; and [2] there is no way to register a pre-paid iPad account on the ATT website.

He tried to tell me there is no reason for me to need to know usage information as the account is prepaid.

I told him that
[a] I am going to Europe tomorrow and want to know how big of "one time International Plan" to buy from ATT (based on my previous usage); and
ATT is pushing me into a non-unlimited plan later this month; I want to know which size plan to purchase.

It seems absurd ATT does not provide this information as, most certainly, they are collecting it.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Under Settings->General->Usage there is a data counter. It doesn't automatically reset each 30 days though. You must reset it manually.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Under Settings->General->Usage there is a data counter. It doesn't automatically reset each 30 days though. You must reset it manually.

And it's completely useless, because it *does* reset itself automatically - at random, unpredictable intervals. As well, it leaves no trace that it has reset, as it will still say "Last reset: none".

I racked-up 94 MB in one day, shown on the counter. The next day it said 20 MB. I took it to a friend's house, did an extensive demo on 3G, drove around in my car navigating. It said 30MB. Now it says 20 MB again. (All for "sent", "received" is much lower).

As far as I know, there is *no* reliable way to determine how much cellular data your iPad has used, and therefore *no* way to determine which data plan is best for you.

Very troubling, in combination with ATT's sudden change in their offerings.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
And it's completely useless, because it *does* reset itself automatically - at random, unpredictable intervals. As well, it leaves no trace that it has reset, as it will still say "Last reset: none".

I racked-up 94 MB in one day, shown on the counter. The next day it said 20 MB. I took it to a friend's house, did an extensive demo on 3G, drove around in my car navigating. It said 30MB. Now it says 20 MB again. (All for "sent", "received" is much lower).

As far as I know, there is *no* reliable way to determine how much cellular data your iPad has used, and therefore *no* way to determine which data plan is best for you.

Very troubling, in combination with ATT's sudden change in their offerings.
OH GREAT!
You had to go and tell me this!
I haven't even received my iPad 3G yet and was soooo counting on starting the unlimited right before leaving for vacation next week so I could get a good estimate of how much data I needed to get in the future during a heavy use month.
SEESH!
ATT is uselss!
And why does Apple have the usage reset on it's own? THAT IS SO DUMB!
Why even have it then?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That's odd, my data usage counter does not automatically reset and it's kept an accurate count so far. It would be nice to be able to track data use on an unlimited plan via the AT&T website though.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Its part of their conspiracy to keep you clueless as to how much you're using. I was going to buy a 3G, reserved one on June 1, but as soon as I caught wind of the unlimited going away, that straight turned me off, canceled the reservation. It used to be cheaper to have the AT&T Unlimited for iPad than to have a MiFi/Overdrive. If between now and the next gen iPad, I need WiFI access, Ill have to go that route instead. 2GB is no where near enough in 30 days for me, not when I get 60+ emails a day with assorted media, spreadsheets...

Being familiar with the OS code, I believe there may be an app somewhere for this. Obviously you would have had to have it installed awhile back to track your data usage. Sorry.

I wonder how Apple feels about the unlimited plan being canceled, seeing as that was one of the major selling points to it being exclusive to AT&T in the US.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
barkomatic said:
That's odd, my data usage counter does not automatically reset and it's kept an accurate count so far. It would be nice to be able to track data use on an unlimited plan via the AT&T website though.

+1

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
It would be nice to be able to track the stats on the web site. Too bad that is not possible. Otherwise you have to remember to reset your iPad each month.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

Mine has reset. I lost almost 2gb of use on the last cycle. I was trying to figure out how much the netflix app was really using.... Oh well!

If I went on what it said, I could make due with the new plan. However, today I'm at 690mb rcvd and it has only been a week....

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Mine has not reset either, for what it's worth. Maybe the random resetting you are experiencing is a bug that Apple will fix???

It is ridiculous that we have to remember to reset it ourselves though, at the beginning of a data period.

We should be able to access our data usage with the cell number that is assigned to our iPads.

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Mine periodically decreases, though I'm not sure why. I don't know if it over-estimates data live and then adjusts later, or if there is a bug in the way it counts and stores data usage statistics. But it never has reset to zero automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.